Will be a member of the Payroll and Labor Accounting group and will report to the Supervisor. Will be responsible for Historical edits, and support payroll reimbursements such as ride-share subsidy, tuition, executive physical, retro adjustments and other reimbursements. Will perform special assignments in support of management objective, audits and projects. Will update desk procedures related to scope of responsibilities. Analysis of situation or data requires interpretation of applicable policies, procedures and practices.
Exercises judgment in applying applicable policies, procedures and practices to new situations to determine appropriate action. Interactions normally involve obtaining and providing information as needed.
Consults with others as needed. Interacts primarily with immediate supervisor and team members within own and outside organization. Participates on a team within own organization; may participate on a team outside own organization. Performs and supports the weekly labor accounting analysis and reports validations such as suspense, missing pay code relationship, over 8 or 9 in a day and other reports required to validate the weekly timekeeping. Assist with the timecard entries. Provides support to other team members. Provides customer support and troubleshoot payroll/timekeeping issues and provides resolutions. Participates in testing Oracle upgrades, system upgrades and projects. Assists with the off-cycle check run. Uses applicable labor laws, tax regulations, policies, procedures and practices as guides to determine work methods and deliver results.
Perform professional accounting work requiring knowledge of the theory and practice of recording, classifying, examining, and analyzing the data and records of financial transactions. Functions performed are characterized by the inclusion of work that is analytical, creative, evaluative, and advisory in nature. The work draws upon and requires thorough knowledge of the fundamental doctrines, theories, principles, and terminology of accountancy, and often entails some understanding of such related fields as business law, business information technology, mathematics and statistics.
• Reviews source documents for accuracy and completeness for a single accounting function.
• Prepares and/or evaluates standard transactions that update the financial business process / systems (i.e.; journal entries, cost transfers, accounts payable vouchers, manual payroll checks, assorted file transmissions and expense reports) based on departmental instructions and procedural guidelines for a single accounting function.
• Analyzes straight forward charge account activities for a single departmental accounting function for accuracy and adherence to procedural guidelines (i.e.; General Ledger accounts, Project Task expenditures, Purchase Order balances and exception identification and correction).
• Produces a variety of standard financial management reporting on a periodic basis and of a statistical/ analytical nature.
• Follows procedural, operational processes and system guidelines for exceptions, validation and reconciliation of financial information.
• Effectively handles and follows up with customer service inquiries from external and/or internal customers for assigned responsibilities (i.e.: external customers - Suppler Payment vendors, State & Federal tax entities and banking organizations and internal customers - employee inquiries of Payroll and Travel).
• Performs moderately complex job functions and activities within assigned area.
• Actions and decisions may have a positive impact on a functional organization due to suggestions for improvements in methods, use of technology, and/or policies.
• Failure to accomplish results can normally be overcome but may impact schedules, budget and projects.
• Some use of creativity and innovation.
• Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related discipline with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; or Master’s Degree in similar disciplines.
• Some knowledge in one or more of the following areas: California Labor Laws, Tax Regulations, Multi State Taxation, Federal Labor Laws.
• General understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in payroll and labor accounting standards.
• General knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in payroll and labor accounting.
• Excellent computer skills, particularly in Excel and Word, strong quantitative ability.
• Ability to establish and meet deadlines while managing multiple priorities. Must be a self-starter and be willing to assist employees with their timekeeping and payroll inquiries.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to handle potentially difficult situations in a professional manner.
• Complete knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications.
• Strong analytical skills with experience in performing: (1) payroll reconciliation; (2) variance analysis; (3) internal and external audit responses; and (4) special unplanned analysis requiring quick turnaround in a dynamic environment.
• Strong desire to know accounting processes and data flow.
• Inquisitive, thorough, logical, and analytical.
• Experience working with a large and integrated payroll/HR system.
• Extensive knowledge of payroll/timekeeping systems, policies and procedures.
If you'd like to discover new worlds with our innovative team and enjoy a competitive salary and impressive benefits with the renowned leader in space exploration, apply now!
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer devoted to work force diversity.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - 11 months ago