Riverside Community College District
Under the supervision of the area Manager, performs a variety of technical tasks of above-average difficulty in connection with the preparation of the District's payroll.
PROVIDES WORK OR LEAD DIRECTION TO:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
Three years of directly related experience in financial recordkeeping is required. One year in a school accounting office or payroll experience is desired.
Methods, practices, principles, procedures and terminology used in a payroll office; common computer software applications and processes, including Excel and Word; payroll preparation software applications.
Learn, apply, and explain rules and regulations; work with established procedures, as well as, complex situations requiring the exercise of judgment and initiative; work cooperatively and effectively with District and county personnel; work under pressure of recurrent deadlines with frequent interruptions; understand and carry out complex instructions, both oral and written; operate 10-key calculator; establish and maintain effective relationships with others.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Candidate must demonstrate clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, staff and the community.
Co-workers, other departmental personnel, employees, Riverside County Office of Education, PARS, STRS, and PERS retirement systems, CTA and CSEA unions, EDD, federal and state agencies, financial institutions, mortgage companies, and other employers.
Normal office environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prepares various reports for internal and external agencies, including but not limited to the Public Agency Retirement System, Public Employee Retirement System, and State Teachers Retirement System. Prepare worksite reports, labor distribution reports, hours/days tracking, load bank summaries, seniority reports, reassigned time spreadsheets, and step and column projections; prepares, assesses, and validates employee payroll data for outside agencies.
2. Prepares, calculates and codes all pay documents, including teaching assignments, stipends, differential pay and timesheets; assesses, evaluates and confirms payroll balancing for all certificated, classified, confidential, and student employees, adhering to schedules and timelines established by the District and the Riverside County Office of Education.
3. Processes and records all new employee paperwork and necessary documents, including but not limited to New Employee Authorization Transmittals, retirement forms, direct deposit forms, tax forms, and attendance cards for distribution to all outside agencies; prepares and maintains employee file folders, and enters employee numbers into Datatel and tracking spreadsheets.
4. Maintains and enters all employee modifications, including voluntary deductions, name, address, contract pay increases, anniversary step increases, approved cost of living adjustments, federal and state withholdings, direct deposit information, position, pay frequency, worksite and budget code changes for all regular positions and any extra duty assignments including special projects; maintain accurate salary history records and seniority lists.
5. Explains and provides details for the method of pay and payroll forms to new employees.
6. Maintains complete and accurate confidential attendance records in compliance with District, State and Federal guidelines, including the calculation of leaves earned and used and enters data for the employees' paycheck stub.
7. Enters payroll data into the District's payroll software to generate payroll warrants and required reports.
8. Files employee documents, earnings records, teaching assignments, Notice/Change of Employment;
boxes all payroll records for archive storage.
9. Answers phone calls or emails regarding employees' payroll information and requests for data.
10. Prepares adjusting entries for W-2s, including workers comp, ARS and AFLAC.
11. Tracks, records, and prepares prior year liabilities for year-end processing including vacation and compensatory time and all hours/days worked prior to June 30th for payment beyond July 1st.
12. Participate in District-provided in- service training programs and user group meetings, including payroll calendar year-end workshops provided by the Riverside County Office of Education.
13. Reads, interprets, and adheres to guidelines presented by the CSEA, CTA, and Management contracts and Education Code.
14. Prepares and maintains accurate records for all approved workers' compensation absences and payments.
15. Participates in District-provided in-service training programs.
16. Maintains a friendly, supportive atmosphere for students, staff, faculty, and the public.
17. Performs other duties, related to the position, as assigned.
Conditions of Employment:
SALARY: Salary grades consist of nine steps. A new employee is normally placed on Step 1 of the grade. Changes in step placement take place on the first day of the first month following the anniversary date of attaining permanent classified employee status until the maximum of the grade is reached.
HOLIDAYS: There are 13 holidays observed each year. A pro-rata reduction will be made for employees working less than full-time and less than twelve months.
VACATION: Employees are granted 12 days of vacation per year through the first five years of service to the District; 15 days after completion of five continuous years of service to the District; 20 days after completion of ten continuous years of service to the District; and 22 days after completion of 15 continuous years of service to the District. This computation is based on full-time, twelve-month employment. A pro-rata reduction will be made for employees working less than full-time and less than twelve months.
SICK LEAVE: One day of sick leave for each month of service is granted. This is based on full-time, twelve-month employment. A pro-rata reduction will be made for employees working less than full-time and less than twelve months. There is no limit to the number of days of sick leave which may be accrued.
FRINGE BENEFITS: The District provides a health and welfare benefit package for employees and legal qualifying dependents. Those employees working less than full-time and less than twelve months will receive a pro-rata share of the benefit package. The dollar value of the package is a subject of negotiation between the District and the Bargaining Unit.
The work location and assignment within a job classification is determined by the District and may be subject to change.
All offers of employment will be contingent upon the availability of funds and approval by the Board of Trustees.
The Riverside Community College District complies with all federal and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law. This holds true for all District employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX Officer/Section 504/ADA Coordinator. Harassment of any employee/student with regard to ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law, is strictly prohibited. The Title IX Officer, Section 504/ADA Coordinator for the District is Ms. Chani Beeman, 450 E. Alessandro Blvd., Riverside, CA 92508. Telephone Number is: (951) 222-8039.
Work Hours/Work Days for Classified and Hourly Positions Only:
Required Applicant Documents:
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2
Letter of Recommendation 3
Optional Applicant Documents:
Application Deadline: Interested candidates must apply by 02/08/13 by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
Department: Accounting Services (D)
Position Type: Support Staff (Classified / Confidential)
Physical location of the position: Riverside
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position Length: 12-month
Salary Range: Grade K
Salary Amount: $3,938 - $5,293
Salary Type: Monthly
Is this position categorically (grant) funded? No
Effective Employment Date: A mutually agreed upon start date.
Application Deadline: 02-08-2013
Only electronic, on-line applications are accepted. All supporting materials, required or optional, must also be in electronic formats and attached to the electronic, on-line application when applying. Supporting materials are only accepted as Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word files and must be less than 2 MB in size.
An application will not be considered complete unless all Required Documents are electronically attached to the application by the Application Deadline date. An incomplete file may subject the candidate to disqualification.
Paper applications and supporting materials WILL NOT be accepted!
Letters of reference must be non-confidential and submitted electronically when applying on-line.
Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed above by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
The Riverside Community College District does not require testing at the initial application filing period. As you progress through the selection process, you may be required to perform a job-related test based on the needs of the work area for which you are being considered.
The District will make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicant should contact Diversity and Human Resources at (951) 222-8595 for assistance.
Application Types Accepted: Classified/Management/Confidential Application
To apply, visit
InsideHigherEd.com - 24 months ago