"Where Creating the Best Hope for a Healthier Future Begins"
Responsible for the operation of the heart-lung machine during surgery and the operation of special mechanical devises to assist in the conversion of blood and blood products during surgery.
Additional Summary Specific to Job
1. Monitors the altered circulatory process closely, taking appropriate action when abnormal situations arise and keeps both the surgeon and anesthesiologist fully informed.
2. Provides extended, long-term support of the patient's circulation outside the operating room environment.
3. Ensures the sterility and integrity of packaging of disposable equipment used as well as the correct setup and breakdown of all equipment disposable and non-disposable, sterile and non-sterile.
4. Provides adequate and proper perfusion to the patient during surgery.
5. Maintains and regulates the blood temperature to the patient during surgery.
6. Monitors and checks blood gasses during surgery.
7. Provides complete myocardial protection required during surgery; including providing blood or Crystalloid Cardioplegia delivery at proper temperature and proper pressure, whether antegrade or retrograde. Delivery.
8. Records all relevant perfusion information during surgery and maintains the records after surgery.
9. Provides and operates cardiac-assist devices in the weaning and termination phases of surgery.
10. Provides set-up, priming, and initiation of Extra Cororeal Membrane Oxyfenation (ECMO) as well as troubleshooting ECMO circuit problems.
11. Performs equity quality controls for control/preventive maintenance, related documentation and reporting to Hermann Hospital.
12. Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies.
13. May assist the Director with training staff.
14. May assist the Director with research activities.
15. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and completion of an accredited Perfusionist Technology program with no experience required.
* Provisionally Licensed Perfusionist (PLP) by the State of Texas Department of State Health Services or Licensed Perfusionist by the State of Texas Department of State Health Services (LP).
UT Health Science Center at Houston - 8 months ago