"Where Creating the Best Hope for a Healthier Future Begins"
Responsible for the operation of the heart-lung machine during surgery and the operation of special mechanical devises to assist in the conversion of blood and blood products during surgery.
Additional Summary Specific to Job
1. Monitors the altered circulatory process closely, taking appropriate action when abnormal situations arise and keeps both the surgeon and anesthesiologist fully informed.
2. Provides extended, long-term support of the patient's circulation outside the operating room environment. Includes set-up, priming, and initiation of ECMO.
3. Provides adequate and proper perfusion to the patient during surgery.
4. Maintains and regulates the blood temperature to the patient during surgery.
5. Monitors and checks blood gases during surgery.
6. Provides complete myocardial protection required during surgery; including providing blood or Crystalloid Cardioplegia delivery at proper temperature and proper pressure, whether antegrade or retrograde delivery.
7. Records all relevant perfusion information during surgery and maintains the records after surgery.
8. Provides and operates cardiac-assist devices in the weaning and termination phases of surgery.
9. Performs equity quality controls for control/preventive maintenance, related documentation and reporting to Hermann Hosptial.
10. Maintain adequate inventory of perfusion supplies.
11. Maintain "cleanliness" of equipment and working areas.
12. May assist the Director with research activities.
13. To adhere to all policies and procedures set down by the Hospital.
14. Fully comply with ethical standards of the ABCP.
15. Fully adhere to hospital policy regarding standard of care and patient's rights and privacy.
Bachelor's Degree with no experience required.
- Perfusionist Certification
UT Health Science Center at Houston - 10 months ago