Under the supervision of the Director or the staff pharmacist, the technician will assist the pharmacist in the preparation and rational distribution of pharmaceutical agents to patients of all ages, employees, and designated areas of the hospital in accordance with the pharmacy laws of the State of Florida and the policy and procedures of the department of Pharmacy. Physician orders and patient medication profiles are reviewed, processed, and checked by a registered pharmacist ensuring the accuracy of the transaction.
1. Reviews and interprets physician medication orders ensuring appropriate therapy.
2. Demonstrates a complete understanding of the policies and procedures of the department.
3. Adheres to and participates in the quality improvement program of the department.
4. Always adheres to the distribution policies of the department.
5. The outpatient policies and procedures of the department are carried out accurately and efficiently, providing professional outpatient pharmacy services.
6. Consistently demonstrates an ability to keep up with patient workload.
7. Demonstrates a complete understanding of all policies and procedures concerning the responsibilities of a pharmacy technician.
8. Demonstrates a good judgment and decision making skills.
9. Demonstrates a good rapport and cooperative working relationship with others.
10. Ensures that the production and distribution of IV solutions and other sterile products including parenteral nutrition products, injectable chemotherapy, antibiotics and other medications for intravenous therapy, are in accordance with departmental policies and procedure.
11. Demonstrates a complete understanding of the State and Federal laws governing the handling and dispensing of controlled substances. Adheres to the controlled substance distribution policies of the department.
12. Promotes positive Customer service with internal and external customers.
13. Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, qualify of care or the services delivered.
14. Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
15. Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient's care which results in patient harm.
16. Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
17. Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
18. Regular, Punctual and dependable attendance.
19. May have access to the POS room or designated areas to transport, assemble, and stock (inventory) of non scheduled drugs and biologicals to include but not limited to fluids, sterile water, normal saline, and irrigations.
20. Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- Florida Registered Pharmacy Tech license required
- National Certification in Pharmacy Technology preferred
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience as a pharmacy technician preferred
- Individuals must possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
HCA dispenses TLC for a profit. HCA Holdings, through HCA, Inc. (Hospital Corporation of America) operates more than 160 acute care,...