General Statement of Duties
The Pharmacy Technician IV performs duties under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and assists in the processing, preparation, and dispensing of patient medication orders according to professional standards and practices. He/she demonstrates skill in sterile compounding preparation and hazardous drugs preparation (chemo certification training).
Essential Job Functions
1. Fills orders for medications with speed and accuracy for pharmacist’s check prior to delivery. Ensures proper storage and security of medications delivered to nursing floors and areas.
2. Prepares sterile products, which may include intravenous solutions and irrigations, following standard protocols and formulas under the direct supervision of a pharmacist. Follows all infection control procedures to include aseptic technique and documents all quality control measures (hood cleaning, room cleaning, filter changes, and temperature logs). Follows all applicable policies and procedures related to IV preparation.
3. Prepares chemotherapy and TPN solutions under the direct supervision of a pharmacist.
4. Performs all necessary functions on the pharmacy computer system and automated medication supply system which may include: patient profile inquiry, debit/credit medications, pharmacy reports/fill lists, print labels, and billing inquiry.
5. Accurately performs routine manufacturing and prepackaging, Maintains accurate and complete records of all manufacturing and prepackaging, Ensures that a pharmacist checks all work.
6. Restocks shelves in respective areas and orders via the pharmacy want book. Informs Purchasing Agent or designee of stock needs and stock shortages pertinent to meeting the immediate needs of patients. May be cross-trained to place daily orders(s) to wholesaler electronically or by telephone. Restocks depleted/used emergency trays/boxes and special procedure boxes. Ensures that charges are processed.
Job Description Appendix A:
Environmental and Physical Demands/Hazardous Conditions
( X ) INSIDE: Spends approximately _40_ hours or more per week inside.
( ) OUTSIDE: Spend approximately __ hours per week outside (driving/running work related errands).
( ) BOTH: The activities occur inside and outside in approximately equal amounts.
WORK POSITIONS: (defined in 5% increments of work time):
Ability to lift, push and pull with assistance (mechanical or co-worker) the weight of an average patient/heaviest object specific to the department.
( ) SEDENTARY WORK: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasional lifting and/or carrying articles.
( ) LIGHT WORK: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying articles weighing up
to 10 lbs.
(X) MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects
Weighing up to 25 lbs.
( ) HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects
weighing up to 50 lbs.
( ) VERY HEAVY WORK: Lifting objects in excess of 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of
objects weighing more than 50 lbs.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics
of the following:
1. High School diploma or equivalent education
of the following:
A. Completion of a course sponsored by an ACPE provider which provides
40 hours of instruction and experience in the area of sterile compounding
preparation including hazardous drug preparation.
B. Documentation of a pharmacist training program in the preparation of
sterile pharmaceuticals including hazardous drug preparation while enrolled in
a college of pharmacy.
C. Provide documentation of completion from a structured on-the job didactic and
experiential training program which provided 40 hours of instruction and
experience in the area of sterile compounding preparation and hazardous
3. Applicant must validate skills and complete Methodist IV Training Program at 90
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service
line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population
served (if applicable).
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required
of the following:
A. Current Registered Pharmacy Technician by Texas State Board of Pharmacy
B. Intern Certification with the Texas Board of Pharmacy
HCA Inc - 11 months ago