Kaiser Permanente is currently accepting applications for multiple positions.
This job posting is representative of one of the types of positions we are currently hiring for at our new Westside Hospital. If you are interested, please submit your resume and we will follow up with you on our hiring timelines and application process.
Possible Positions Represented:
18 hr Day
18 hr Night
24 hr variable
24 hr Day
24 hr Night
24 hr Night
24 hr Night
36 hr Day
36 hr Night
Support the laboratory function of providing diagnostic information for use in patient care by ensuring proper collection and processing of laboratory specimens. Perform or assist with special procedures; mentor/orient students and new employees; ensure workflow meets service delivery needs. Respond effectively to member, clinicians, nursing staff and other department needs.
• Perform order entry, specimen collection, and processing according to work instructions (WI), clarify clinician orders; obtain pertinent patient information; accurately identify patients; determine specimen requirements and collect patient sample using appropriate process of venipuncture or capillary collection based on patient age and/or condition.
• Assure completeness and accuracy of specimen labeling.
• Obtain and enter appropriate patient or specimen information into laboratory computer system.
• Provide good customer service to all members.
• Prioritize workload according to urgency of request; coordinate activities of the phlebotomy and laboratory service/technical assistant workgroups to meet operational service needs.
• Act as resource for medical or laboratory staff.
• Provide information and facilitate specimen or order problem investigation and resolution.
• Using appropriate resources make decisions as required for sample collection and patient processing.
• Facilitate communication between phlebotomists and laboratory service/technical assistants in problem solving and member assistance, triaging to supervisor as needed.
• Provide instructions to physicians, nursing staff, and patients in proper specimen collection, answering related questions accurately.
• Evaluate, process, and coordinate specimens for testing and/or shipping by following applicable WI.
• Centrifuge, aliquot, separate, refrigerate, freeze, or handle specimens as required to maintain specimen integrity.
• Consult computer information for special handling instructions, referring questions to client services or technical specialist(s) for additional handling or shipping instructions when indicated. Complete appropriate forms as applicable.
• Use laboratory computer system to obtain patient demographics, perform order entry, enter pertinent clinical information, generate barcode labels, and ensure tracking of each test ordered and each specimen collected and/or received.
• Use laboratory information computer system to track specimens.
• Perform all duties required of laboratory service/technical assistant.
• Assist clinician or pathologists with bone marrow collection and processing.
• Perform isolation procedures, bacterial, acid-fast, and fungal blood cultures, blood smear preparation, microbiology set-up and code blue response as required and ordered by clinician
• Remain current in new and revised work instructions and lab and organizational policies.
• Assist supervisor, coordinator, or specialist in identifying and reporting any procedural discrepancies.
• Complete annual requirements.
• Provide input into development or revision of procedures to meet operational needs.
• Support department workflow and records maintenance through accurate workload recording, quality assurance monitors, supply inventory, quality control checks, and records.
• Completion of the experience practicum in an Accredited Phlebotomy program OR
• Three years recent phlebotomy experience in a multi-patient laboratory setting.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Demonstrated customer-focused service skills
• Demonstrated understanding of basic phlebotomy principles and techniques
• Detail oriented, able to handle multiple tasks in a limited time frame
• Able to produce high quantity/quality of work, problem solve, exercise good judgment
• Able to bend, stoop, reach and lift minimum of 10 pounds.
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills with command of the English language
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills, teamwork
• Working knowledge of keyboard/data entry
• 4 or more years phlebotomy experience in a multi-patient laboratory setting including geriatric, pediatrics, inpatient, and/or difficult phlebotomy draws
• National Phlebotomy certification
• Thorough understanding of phlebotomy principles and techniques and phlebotomy equipment
• Thorough understanding of sample collection requirements
• Knowledge of Medical Terminology
• Written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal skills, teamwork, independent worker
• Leadership skills
America’s leading not-for-profit health plan, Kaiser Permanente serves more than 9 million people from 37 hospitals and 611...