Collects laboratory specimens from members and prepares specimens for shipment to laboratories following established laboratory procedures, disposes of waste materials, prepares and maintains records, and performs related clinical and administrative services.
• Greets patients, reviews lab request form, schedules appointments, and prepares specimen labels.
• Confirms that patient has met dietary requirements for prescribed test and that the correct test has been ordered.
• Collects blood samples from adults and children using venipuncture or capillary puncture.
• Processes blood specimen using preservative or anti-coagulant as required by test procedures.
• Instructs patients regarding the collection and packaging of other specimens such as urine, semen, and feces.
• May perform waived testing (urine dips) as part of patient preparation for specimen collection.
• Affixes labels on specimens and prepares specimens for shipment to appropriate laboratory for testing.
• Arranges for special specimen transport when necessary.
• Disposes of biological waste, needles, and related hazardous materials.
• Communicates with medical, clinical, and technical staff to resolve problems regarding specimens.
• Follows defined laboratory procedures and maintains awareness of changes to procedures.
• Performs administrative duties such as preparation of reports and the storage of laboratory and office supplies.
• Performs other related duties as directed.
*** 2 openings ***
• One (1) year of laboratory experience that includes six (6) months of full-time (or equivalent) working in a medical environment involving phlebotomy, patient reception, and related clerical duties OR successful completion of a Phlebotomy Clinical Rotation in a Kaiser Permanente Laboratory required.
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Graduation from a phlebotomy program OR medical assistant program that includes phlebotomy training.
• BLS Certification or completion of BLS certification within six (6) months after employment required.
• Proficiency in the use of applicable computer software.
• Phlebotomy certification by ASCP or other nationally recognized agency preferred.
At Kaiser Permanente, all of us, from accounting, sales and IT, to our care delivery teams on the front lines, stand for Total Health....