Provide medical care in their area of specialty under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician. |
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements
Must be a graduate from a physician assistant training program approved by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). Experience requirement may vary depending on service area or role. Must have critical thinking and organizational skills as well as strong oral and written communication skills. Must have ability to build effective working relationships and use tact, discretion and diplomacy when working with others. Must be able to stay calm and focused in environment of multiple demands and use good judgement in emergency situations. Must have computer skills.
Must have successfully completed the certifying examination of the National Commission on Certification of Physicians Assistant. Must hold licensure/registration as required in the state of practice. DEA certification may be required depending on service area role. Must be credentialed by MeritCare Health System and MeritCare Hospital as appropriate.
Job Specific Competencies
- Performs medical procedures usually performed within the normal scope of the supervising physician's practice and is subject to the limitations set forth by the state Board of Medical Examiners and Sanford Health policies and procedures.
- Interacts with customers in a warm and friendly way.
- Takes immediate action to meet customer requests or needs.
- Listens to understand what customers have to say.
- Recognizes safety hazards and takes corrective action; seeking assistance when needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of operational policies and procedures.
- Performs work safely, without causing harm or risk to self, others or property.
- Makes a decision considering the impact of the decision on other areas.
- Initiates collaboration with others outside of service area.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the principles, values, and ethics of the organization.
- Models accountability for learning by sharing knowledge and learning from others.
- Builds effective working relationships.
- Expresses appreciation to others for their work.
- Treats others with respect.
- Demonstrates both knowledge and application of Sanford policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Demonstrates the ability to take charge, take unpopular stands if necessary, face difficult situations, and is looked to for direction from others.
- Facilitates and supports change within the Sanford Health.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning for themselves and staff.
- Demonstrates and applies continuous quality improvement knowledge and skills.
Information Management Competencies
- Demonstrates skill in accessing, preparing and using information as relevant to position.
- Verbalizes and demonstrates knowledge of procedures for maintaining security, confidentiality and integrity of employee, patient, family and other medical information.
- Demonstrates ability to collect, analyze and present data as appropriate to position.
- Demonstrates skill in use of equipment relevant to position; verbalizes knowledge of appropriate safety procedures.
Professional/Clinical Practice Competencies
- Assessment: Delineates medical history on patients; performs physical assessment on patient as expected for presenting symptoms as well as medical specialty; utilizes information from multiple sources for assessment including referring physician information, medical records, and other health care associates; assessments include both subjective and objective findings.
- Planning: Collaborates with supervising physician to determine plan of care for patient.
- Implementation: Orders diagnostic tests, medications and treatment in accordance with the plan of care for the patient.
- Evaluation: Provides continuous follow-up with patient to evaluate response to the plan of care.
- Documentation: Provides legible and timely documentation for care coordination and communication and is compliant with requirements for coding and reimbursement.
Age Related Competencies
- Applies knowledge of growth and development in customer interactions and adapts care according to patient's age/developmental stage.
- This position is classified as a Category I position under OSHA guidelines with high risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials.
The incumbent may provide work direction to the medical support staff of the department and may assist in the orientation and training of other physician assistants.
View Physical Requirements
Sanford Health - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard