Physicist (S-2 / S-3) – Radiation Safety
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Environmental Safety and Health Divison in the Photon Sciences Directorate currently has a full-time opportunity for a Radiation Safety Physicist.
The Photon Science Directorate at Brookhaven National Laboratory is seeking a scientist in Radiation Physics. Responsibilities include performing shielding calculations for PSD accelerators and beamlines for specific accelerator and beamline configurations and support all aspects of shielding design calculations and measurements for radiation safety at PSD.
- Perform appropriate calculations with radiation physics simulation tools to evaluate and assess PSD radiation shielding efficacy.
- Provide radiation physics support to PSD accelerators and beamlines.
- Support radiation physics measurements to characterize radiation field at PSD for personnel and equipment protection as required.
- PhD in Nuclear Physics / Radiation Physics / High Energy Physics or in related fields.
- A minimum of two years of post-doctoral experience in radiation/particle physics simulations with multi-particle Monte-Carlo simulation programs such as MCNP, FLUKA and EGS, etc., to perform shielding and activation calculations.
- Ability in effectively presenting the results of the calculations and measurements as papers and presentations.
- Ability to determine shielding requirements for the radiation fields generated during accelerator and beamline operation.
- Experience in shielding calculations for synchrotron radiation experimental beamlines.
- Strong interpersonal and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with measurement of complex radiation fields associated with multi-component radiation environment.
- Peer reviewed published work in radiation physics calculations and measurements.
Please apply to Job ID# 16255.
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate scientific level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills he or she brings to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
- Position is a 3 year term.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy....