The Captain/Pilot will oversee the smooth operation of the entire vessel with compliance to all Federal, State and Local laws and regulations. The Pilot is ultimately responsible for the safety and security of all persons onboard the vessel while on watch. The Pilot has authority and responsibility for taking all necessary actions for safety, pollution prevention and the efficient operation of the ship under guidance of the Vessel Master.
Essential Functions – the following are essential functions of the job but are not all-inclusive.
- Responsible for the safety of passengers and crew and the safe operation of the vessel
- Report defects and other matters with implications for safe operations or pollution risk
- Report non-conformities, accidents and injuries involving personnel or equipment and hazardous situations to the Master
- Request assistance from AQSC as may be deemed necessary to ensure safe and pollution free operation on the ship
- Prepare, in consultation with the Captain/Pilot, detailed schedules for future itineraries and then advise the Captain of any unduly high speed or impractical arrival times, etc. that become apparent
- Ensure that the navigational charts required for the itinerary and for planning are carried onboard
- Monitor the operational condition of all navigation instruments, instigating corrective action when necessary
- Ensure that cancelled charts are clearly marked as such and removed from the bridge
- Observe weather and river conditions closely at all times and take proper actions when necessary, while communicating such actions to the Vessel Master
- Advise the Vessel Master of unusual delays and/or causes with revised ETA’s for the port of call
- With the assistance of the vessel’s Mates, insure that all docking locations are secure and meet requirements set forth
Must possess FCC Marine Radio Operations license
Must possess Radar certification (endorsement necessary as per vessel)
Must possess USCG license which satisfies COI requirements of applicable vessel
Must possess all documentation and licenses as set forth by the USCG and company policies
Ability to give personnel sound instructions using leadership skills
High School Diploma or equivalent
Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the policy of GASC.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
American Queen Steamboat Company - 10 months ago