Location: San Jose and Mountain View, CA
Alta Planning + Design’s mission is to create active communities where bicycling and walking are safe, healthy, fun, and normal daily activities. We use the principles of transportation and recreation planning, landscape architecture and environmental awareness to design better places to bike, walk, play, and live. Working at Alta allows people to apply their skills and ideas to making the world a healthier, better place. For more information on our company, please visit www.altaplanning.com.
Overview of Position:
This position will assist with grant administration support, planning work - including research, writing, and analysis - as well as planning and delivering walking and bicycling events and outreach.
Key Aspects of Position:
An understanding of the field of urban planning, specifically related to non-motorized transportation, and the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of these positions.
Duties will include:
- Collecting data and producing maps for field work, public input, client meetings and project display boards and reports.
- Field investigations and site analyses.
- Setting up meetings and making travel arrangements
- Assisting or leading outreach logistics, stakeholder interviews, public meetings, community bike rides, tabling at community events, and the ability to communicate to the public about bicycling and walking
- Working with event and outreach partners, and designing, implementing, and staffing direct public outreach and walk/bike events, and assisting with social media.
- Research, analyses, copywriting, and drafting memos and reports.
- Formatting and production of newsletters, workshop materials, and high-quality plans.
Required Skills and Experience:
The candidate must have:
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Passion for active living and non-motorized transportation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning or a related field of study.
- One (1) or more years of experience working with the public for a public agency, nonprofit or community organization, or private firm.
- One (1) or more years of experience working directly in a communication and/or outreach capacity with the public. Demonstrated public speaking skills.
- Working knowledge of, and interest in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and good organizational skills.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to complete assignments successfully, and systems to prioritize and manage complex work flow
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of tools, and ability to create and use Excel spreadsheets, Adobe Creative Suite, or similar products.
- Working knowledge of the planning process and GIS.
- Ability to travel for work for 1-3 days at a time
- This position may require hours which exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week
Ideally, the candidate will additionally have:
- Experience organizing and leading events, classes, or workshops
- Familiarity with budget tracking and/or grant management
- Experience working in schools, preferably as part of a Safe Routes to School program
- Experience creating and editing simple (Streetsfilm-quality) videos
- Experience with Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst, or similar products.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS, Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst, or similar products.
- Working knowledge of US Census information with GIS
Apply via the link below. Please upload cover letter and resume. No phone calls, please.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities in order to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Alta Planning + Design is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.