If you live up on the north side of Houston and have a strong background in manufacturing and cost accounting, then this is a great opportunity for you! Rapidly growing, PE-backed manufacturing company is seeking a Plant Controller. Must have strong leadership skills.
If qualified, please send us your resume or call (713) 960-9898 for details.
Read more about us at www.vacohouston.com .
Reporting to: VP-CAO and Director of Operations (dual reporting role)
The Plant Controller is responsible for personally coordinating the completion of all plant accounting and financial reporting activities related to the manufacturing facility. More specifically, the Plant Controller is responsible for cost accounting, financial closing and reporting, internal controls, tax, fixed asset accounting, inventory management, and related activities.
Plant Accounting & Financial Reporting
The Plant Controller's primary responsibility, relates to the performance of traditional plant accounting and financial reporting activities. These responsibilities include:
- Cost Accounting - includes the analysis and reporting of daily production, adsorption, standard cost of production, variances, purchase price variances, raw material yields (if any), filling yields, production put-away losses, expense budget variances, and related information.
- Develop cost estimates for new product initiatives based on the results of special batch runs or on reasonable assumptions, ultimately leading to a decision for the given initiative.
- Manages cost-related reserves, performs reconciliations, and participates in special projects as appropriate.
- Financial monthly closing process - ensure each step of the process is completed timely and accurately. The Plant Controller will create and monitor a closing check list. For example, during the close, the Plant Controller will need to ensure that all production orders are closed, in-hand invoices are processed, subsystem posts are tied out, manual journal entries are posted, and reserve accounts are reconciled. Once the numbers are final, the formal analysis and reporting of the plant's financial performance can begin. This analysis will include an assessment of risks and opportunities as well as a forecast of performance for the remainder of the year.
- Taxes - federal, state, and local tax requirements and related issues.
- Expected to have an understanding of federal, state, and local tax requirements and related issues.
Some issues may include the guidelines regarding real vs. personal property when making capital investment, when capital and other expenditures are subject to sales and use tax, and other tax considerations, such as electric usage excise taxes.
- Fixed Asset Accounting - may also be responsible for fixed asset accounting, including capital project reviews, asset capitalization, idle asset reporting, and the physical inventory of fixed assets.
- Inventory management of 3rd party's inventory.
- Will be accountable for inventory management, ensuring that the plant's inventory controls are adequate for monitoring and reporting 3rd party inventory.
- Plant's strategic or annual operating planning process
- Will likely drive the plant's strategic or annual operating planning process.
- Prepare, analyze, and report weekly, monthly, and quarterly gross margin analysis.
- Month-end closing, prepare journal entries as necessary.
- Prepare collateral reporting.
- Coordinate with IT department for system issues, maintenance and development such as production, purchasing, import/export, accounts payable, accounts receivable, import/export IT, receiving, shipping, and other.
- Analyze cost accounting data.
- Maintain internal control documentation and test internal controls.
- Review and analyze margin reports, conduct research and perform analytical studies in regards to cost analyses and profitability.
- Work in special projects as required.
- Ensure timely submission, accuracy and validity numbers, gross margin schedules to Management.
- Assist in Internal as External Audits.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance
5+ years of manufacturing accounting experience.
- Experience as a plant accountant/controller and financial reporting background.
- Manager experience is required.
- Ability to apply knowledge of GAAP & Cost Accounting Standards.
- Must be able to adapt to new and different computer programs and software to enable efficient data gathering and analysis.
- Ability to research, compile, analyze and interpret data.
- Good written, verbal communication and collaborative skills.
- Proficiency in Excel and Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to analyze and reconcile complex accounts and reserves.
- Strong organizational and communicational skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Knowledge of JDE preferred.
- Oil & Gas industry background preferred.
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision.
- General knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and cost control procedures.
Vaco Houston - 7 months ago