Imerys is the world leader in mineral-based speciality solutions for industry, and our Filtration Minerals Division has a great opportunity for a Plant Manager in Quincy, Washington.
Job Summary :
The Plant Manager is responsible for all operations pertaining to the Quincy, WA Production Plant and Mine. The role requires operational analysis yielding viable production alternatives, recommendations and plans, in addition to oversight of key production initiatives targeting improvements in safety, regulatory compliance, production processes and productivity integrity, as well as improved equipment utilization and budgetary considerations. The Plant Manager also leads the staff’s efforts in applying sustainable recognized lean manufacturing techniques focused on maximizing equipment productivity, process continuity and resource availability for both the mine and the plant.
Travel requirements: Up to 10% travel within the US.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
Conformance to EHS audit and target criteria (BU / Plant Objectives)
- Complies with all Federal Metal and Nonmetallic Mine Safety and Health Standards and IMERYS Safety Standards.
- Formulates and manages department schedules and communicates such to supervisors and hourly personnel for implementation of operations and maintenance. Review maintenance schedules of major pieces of equipment to maximize equipment availability in a cost-effective manner while minimizing down time and loss of production.
- Maintains a facility high-risk equipment plan focused on a 3-year risk mitigation approach. Supports annual reconciliation of each year’s plan with performance and productivity data, survey control and annual plan updates.
- Interacts with functional managers and drives discussion around production schedules, quality issues, employee relations matters and plans for future events which have potential impact to the operation.
- Participates in monthly cost book meetings to review unit operations, production costs, customer issues and risk mitigation.
- Prepares Capital Expense Requests (CERs) for the sustainability, purchase or lease of equipment utilized within the production processes.
- Performs administrative functions and audits as required focused on management of labor, equipment, performance, cost and reporting.
- Establish and control conditions of production to satisfy quality and customer specifications as well as governmental standards where applicable through analysis of equipment and materials utilized and adherence to standards is established.
- Identify and manage effective Manufacturing Excellence Projects focused on expansion of yields, equipment utilization, overall productivity & cost improvements for mine and mill.
- Facilitates quality program and customer audit requirements, ensuring applicable manufacturing processes in line with established control measures.
- Collaborates and develops effective relationships with internal departments such as finance and procurement, as well as external partners such as sales and marketing, to support the development and implementation of strategies, plans and objectives.
- Effective Key Operating Indicators of success include but are not limited to:
Equipment Utilization (Cumulative Scheduled / Operational Downtime)
Performance Efficiency (Actual Output / Design Output)
Tracked & trended consumable usage variances in line with flex models
Quality Rate (Defects & Rework / Total Production)
Customer Service targeting on time delivery compliance
Production Cost % of Product Revenue / Fixed Cost
Preparation and Performance to Budget / Forecast
Education and Experience :
- Ensures mine and plant regulatory / compliance monitoring equipment is maintained / recorded per scheduled intervals and specifications.
- Mentors and develops subordinates for succession.
- Conducts cost / benefit analysis, oversees development of key production initiatives justification, presents projects to superiors and gains approval / guidance.
- Coordinates efforts of multi-disciplinary craft teams to achieve a common goal.
- Responsible for communicating the status of a wide range of production activities to key stake holders.
- Anticipates questions and prepares technical and business correspondence pertaining to the business case for each production initiative from all affected parties, including senior management members.
- Identifies production constraints (manufacturing process, budget, schedule, etc.) and either eliminates the constraints or manages within them.
- Makes decisions by understanding causes, weighing options and making final decisions based on achieving highest priority objectives.
B.S. degree in related discipline such as Mechanical, Chemical, or Mining Engineering.
Minimum 7 years of related experience with at least 5 years in a management position with P&L experience required.
Preferred experience in heavy industry with lean manufacturing concepts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
In conjunction with finance responsible for producing the annual capital and operating budget for the mine and plant.
Negotiating: Must be able to negotiate with vendors and others to acquire competitive pricing on equipment, supplies and services on behalf of the company.
Interpersonal relationships; must be able to successfully interact with all levels of employees to maintain open lines of communications.
Office skills including use of e-mail, fax and word-processing. Must be competent in Automation Software, Microsoft Word, Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint.
Must be able to successfully interact with vendors to insure cost efficient supply of parts and service, scheduling of unusual work and testing of new products / facilities.
Good problem solving skills and ability to operate independently.
Must be able to simultaneously control multiple tasks and initiatives in multiple locations.
Imerys knows the ins and outs of mining rare resources. The company extracts and processes minerals into various industrial materials used...