We are looking for an entrepreneurial individual with a strong background in designing and developing large scale, distributed infrastructure. You will be part of our backend team.
Your work includes defining, implementing and maintaining public and private APIs, distributed data storage and processing. Together with our Data Engineers you’ll build what we call a Data Refinery. We are looking for an individual with knowledge and expertise around distributed systems, big data, API development and management, as well as strong CS fundamentals.
- Play major role in designing the core architecture of the product
- Work on back end, platform, architecture, data storage, data processing
- Software design that is well-modularized and maintainable
- Own the overall planning, execution, and on-time delivery of engineering projects
- Execute projects with continuous delivery models and a no fear attitude
Skills & Requirements
2.1 Must have Hard Skills
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization
- Core technical skills: Ruby on Rails, MongoDB, AWS EC2, Elastic MapReduce, S3
- Proven track record in building computation intensive web applications
- Ability to understand distributed package management and configuration (puppet)
- Ability to understand distributed service awareness and load-balancing
- Experience with Linux infrastructure architecture and development
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or work experience equivalent.
2.2 Must have Soft Skills
- Experience with Agile Development Principles
- Entrepreneurial & pragmatic mindset
- Willingness to break the rules
- High degree of personal motivation and ability to self-manage
3. Other Nice to have:
- Ready, able and willing to make the company the major focus of your life
- Experience with Graph Databases
- Understanding of MapReduce and experience with Hadoop
- Experience working with R, MATLAB other scientific computing language
- Proven track record and passion for math, statistics and machine learning
- Experience living & working abroad
About Startup Compass Inc
We are a small international team with backgrounds as entrepreneurs, engineers and scientists.
- Ability to quickly relocate
In collaboration with scientists from Stanford and Berkeley we found that the majority of businesses fail due to uncertainty. Caused by a lack of visibility into market and business processes companies efficiently execute the unnecessary before biting the dust.
With our first product (startupcompass.co) we learned that we can increase certainty and minimize business failure by providing benchmarks, reference points and recommendations to the leadership within a business. The product attracted tens of thousands of software companies and generated six digit revenue.
The core technology is best described as a “data refinery” or an “analyst in the cloud”. The user puts low value data in and gets high value data back. We are among a new class of technology companies automating today’s manual labor of highly educated and expensive analysts, consultants and data scientists. We use predominantly marketing, sales and financial data pulled from various APIs (Salesforce/Quickbooks/Google Analytics/etc.).
The product is a dashboard that a) recommends relevant metrics b) provides reference points and benchmarks of the metrics against similar businesses and c) generates automated recommendations on how to improve those metrics. The information help businesses to identify problems and opportunities, to align the team and to allocate resources.
With our work we empower small and medium sized companies to leverage the massive competitive advantage of data driven decision making by replacing expensive and fallible consultants and analysts previously only accessible to large companies.
We are going after a ~$100 Billion market that is today owned by Consulting, Benchmark, Market Research, Information and Competitive Intelligence Firms. All of the established players rely on manual data collection and manual analysis of data. Automating both allows us to provide comparable services at lower cost.
Our investors include Steve Blank, Allen Morgan and Stefan Glaenzer. Our Advisors include the previous Head of Analytics at Zynga and Facebook and Microsoft’s MD for Analytics and Big Data. See more about our team, advisors and investors on Angel List: angel.co/startup-genome
Our work has been covered on Techcrunch, Gigaom, PBS, Wall Street Journal, WIRED, ARD, cnet, Forbes, CNN Money, TheNextWeb and Huffington Post.
joelonsoftware - 23 months ago