Start your career in law enforcement with the City of Pasadena! We are looking for dedicated and ambitious men and women who are committed to protect and serve our vibrant, beautiful and diverse community! Pasadena is a great place to be a Police Officer – big enough to offer a range of different assignments and opportunities, but small enough for you to really feel part of a strong, cohesive team. Get involved with Rose Bowl events such as major sporting events, Old Town, movie and TV filming, and many more diverse and active events that continually take place in Pasadena. You’ll be part of it all – come build a rewarding and exciting career.
To qualify for Police Officer (Pre-Service), you must have successfully completed a California P.O.S.T. basic police academy. Please upload your Certificate of Completion when you apply.
Job description for Police Officer: secure.neogov.com/employers/class_spec/detailed_class_specification.cfm
CORE COMPETENCIES needed for success:
- Demonstrated honesty and high moral character: must meet our high standards for background (see cityofpasadena.net/police/background_investigation/
- Strong moral and physical courage to enforce the law and deal with a variety of challenging situations
- Analytical skills to be able to evaluate sensitive and/or dangerous situations quickly and take effective and reasonable action
- Reading comprehension needed to read and understand departmental policies, rules, instructions, laws, regulations, and police literature
- Strong oral communication skills to interact and communicate tactfully and effectively with a culturally diverse population
- Good written communication skills to write clear and accurate reports
- Demonstrates respectful community policing through considerate behavior for people and neighborhoods
- Highly flexible and able to adapt to frequent change
- Service oriented – strongly motivated to serve our citizens
- Physically ability to: make a forceful arrest, lift and carry up to 20 pounds on a regular basis, maneuver a 200 pound person in need of assistance; climb, walk, and run, at times under demanding and dangerous conditions; can work outdoors in all kinds of weather
Applicants must possess a valid California Class C Driver's License and be at least 21 years at the time of appointment.
Vision for candidates wearing glasses must be at least 20/100 correctable to 20/30; free from color blindness; for candidates who have successfully worn soft contact lenses for at least a year, vision must be 20/200 uncorrected, correctable to 20/30; free from color blindness.
Applicants must be U. S. citizens or permanent resident aliens who are eligible for and have applied for citizenship. Must obtain citizenship no later than three years from date of employment application.
Conviction of any felony offense, certain misdemeanor offenses, or any offense reflecting lack of character, judgment, or morals, or any other than honorable military discharge may be cause for disqualification. In accordance with State law, candidates must be found to be free from any emotional, mental, or physical condition, including weight, which may adversely affect one's ability to perform the functions of a Police Officer. Shift and overtime work will be required.
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION PROCESS OVERVIEW
WRITTEN TEST - Waived (not necessary); successful completion of a California P.O.S.T. academy replaces this test.
PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST - The physical fitness test consists of the following: a 500 yard run, scaling a chain link fence, 99 yard obstacle course, solid fence (wall) climb and a body drag (165 lbs.). Wear appropriate attire, such as running shoes, running shorts, T-shirts, sweats, etc. We will email you after the physical fitness test to let you know if you have qualified or not.
ELIGIBLE LIST - If you receive a qualifying score, you will remain on the eligible list for one year.
VETERANS PREFERENCE POINTS - Three points will be added to the final qualifying score for veterans who served at least one year of active military duty and submit documentary evidence of honorable discharge with their application.
PERSONAL HISTORY REVIEW - The Personal History Review process is conducted by the Police Department. Be advised that by receiving and completing this packet does not automatically put you in the background process. It merely allows the Police Department to determine your suitability towards moving forward with a complete background investigation. Read about the Background Investigation at cityofpasadena.net/police/background_investigation/ Look under "forms" on this page and download the Officer Background Packet. Start on this ASAP as it must be complete and accurate.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION - The background investigation will include a comprehensive investigation of your background, education and employment history (including a credit, criminal and DMV review), a polygraph examination, a psychological examination, and a medical examination.
Those candidates who successfully complete all phases of this process may be appointed to the position of Police Officer (Pre-Service) with the City of Pasadena.
PROBATIONARY WORK TEST PERIOD = Eighteen months
FLSA = Non-Exempt