Summary: Under general supervision of a Police Sergeant, enforces Federal, State and City laws, rules, regulations, ordinances and codes, maintains a high visibility in the community to deter and prevent criminal activity, and educates the public in ways to protect themselves from criminal activity and/or prevent accidents and injuries.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
Essential Job Functions:
· Conducts routine patrol of assigned City areas.
· Responds to calls for service including the investigation of civil and criminal activity, citizen complaints, traffic accidents and domestic violence issues.
· Mediates and/or negotiates conflicts and disagreements within the community.
· Arrests, charges, and books violators of laws or individuals with outstanding warrants for their arrest.
· Presents testimony and evidence in municipal and county courts on traffic, civil, or criminal cases.
· Assists with Police Department and City sponsored events including traffic and crowd control.
· Advocates public awareness for crime prevention, neighborhood watch, and other citizen programs.
· Completes reports, citations, documentation, and case files in a timely manner.
· Enforces traffic laws.
· Transports prisoners to county jails.
Other Important Duties:
· Provides on the job training for new officers.
· Provides training for Officers and other Police Department staff on suspect and victim interaction.
· Travels to patrol assigned areas, respond to calls for service, and to attend meetings, conferences and training.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
Job Requirements :
Required Knowledge and Skills:
· Knowledge of the specific practices and procedures for assigned unit(s).
· Knowledge of police practices, methods, procedures, equipment, and services.
· Knowledge of customer service and public relations methods and techniques.
· Knowledge of computers and related equipment, hardware and software to prepare reports, maintain and research databases.
· Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
Required Knowledge and Skills (continued):
· Skill in effective oral and written communications.
· Skill in handling and defusing confrontational and/or hostile individuals.
· Skill in responding appropriately in an emergency situation.
· Skill in implementing and enforcing laws, codes and regulations to protect the public safety.
· Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
· Non-certified officers must be able to pass the police academy and state licensing test(s).
· Must meet and maintain all regulatory requirements for Texas Police Officer License.
· Must pass a pre-employment drug screening, polygraph test, psychological test, physical assessment and post-offer physical exam.
· Must possess State of Texas Drivers License at the time of employment.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
· Work is performed in municipal police department office and field environments.
· May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
· May be subject to extended periods of standing, walking, driving, bending, reaching, crawling, climbing, kneeling and lifting when responding to an emergency police situation, accident or investigation.
· May be subject to exposure to extreme weather conditions, hostile environments, hazardous chemicals and fumes, body fluids, infectious diseases, air and water borne pathogens.
· Must be able to restrain hostile and/or combative individuals.
· Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and may be required to occasionally lift 110-150 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
· Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, other standard office equipment, guns, weapons, police safety gear and equipment, police radio and department vehicles. (Some positions require specialty equipment or materials specific to the area of assignment).
City of Frisco - 2 years ago