THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT APPLIES STRICTLY TO CANDIDATES WHO QUALIFY FOR LATERAL ENTRY POLICE OFFICER ONLY. |
SEE QUALIFICATIONS BELOW.
General Statement of Duties:
Preserves the public peace, protects life and property, prevents crimes, arrests violators of the law, enforces all laws and ordinances. Patrols assigned area using motorcycle, patrol car or on foot; responds to calls for service, initiates police action when appropriate; investigates crimes in progress; mediates disputes; renders aid to the sick, injured and those desiring assistance. Work requires use of discretion and independent judgment and is reviewed by inspection and observation from senior staff while on the job, verbal and written reports, and quantitative and qualitative evaluations. Performs related work as required.
You must meet all of the MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS to qualify for the Boise Police Lateral Entry program:
Certain other criminal or driving convictions may be grounds for disqualification.
- Must be a sworn officer with valid certification in good standing
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must be 21 by the date of hire
- Must possess (or be able to acquire) a valid driver's license
- Have completed 64 semester credit hours of academic study from an accredited college as accepted by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, OR have an Idaho P.O.S.T. Intermediate Certificate. (An out-of-state Intermediate Certificate equivalent may be substituted for the college requirement)
- Must not have been convicted of a felony
- Be of high moral character and free of any recent major or habitual violations of the law, including drug usage or other activities or associations that would affect credibility as a police officer
- Must have uncorrected vision in each eye of 20-200 with the strong eye corrected to 20-20 and the weaker eye to 20-60. Applicants who wear contact lenses are exempt from the uncorrected vision of 20-200, but must have the strong eye corrected to 20-20 and weaker eye corrected to 20-60. (Exceptions may be made by the POST Council)
- Must successfully pass all phases of the hiring process
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation
Compensation Structure Salary is dependent upon the officer's education or P.O.S.T. certification. Lateral Entry pay grades are as follows:
Monthly Pay Range
Sworn personnel - less than 3 years of previous full time patrol law enforcement experience
$3371 - $3720
Police Officer I
Sworn personnel – having 3 years, but less than 5 years of previous full time patrol law enforcement experience
$4011 - $4349
Police Officer II
Sworn personnel – 5 years or more of previous full time patrol sworn law enforcement experience
$4172 - $4508
*Probationary Police Officer - Probationary status for a period of one year from date of hire.
Need more information?
On qualifications, selection process, etc., please visit the Boise Police Website
City of Boise, ID - 13 months ago