The SMATE department at Western Washington University is looking for an individual with the knowledge and skills to assist in their research and evaluation work in STEM education, with an emphasis in science education.
This is a full-time, research associate position with the Science, Math, and Technology Education (SMATE) department at Western Washington University. The initial contract is for 12-months, with the potential for renewal through August 31st, 2015.
About the Department: The mission of SMATE is to be a national model of the highest quality preparation of future elementary and secondary science teachers; to participate in research and dissemination of new knowledge in science education and education reform to the university and K-12 communities; and to serve as a valuable science and education resource to the university and broader community.
- Developing, evaluating, and selecting data collection instruments
- Collecting data through surveys, interviews, documentation reviews, and K-12 classroom observations
- Analyzing and interpreting qualitative and quantitative data
- Summarizing and presenting findings in reports, journal articles, and conference presentations.
- Ph.D. or ABD in educational research and evaluation, science education, or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to carefully and critically examine qualitative and quantitative data to find patterns and themes, including experience with conducting qualitative analyses (thematic analyses of open-ended responses to surveys and interviews) and quantitative analyses (descriptive and inferential statistics).
- Experience with conducting literature reviews, interviews, and observations.
- Experience with Excel spreadsheets and statistical analyses software (e.g. SPSS).
- Demonstrated ability to clearly convey ideas orally and in writing.
- Able to work independently on multiple tasks.
- Experience conducting statistical analyses, using regression models, HLM, etc.
- Experience developing and testing data collection instruments for validity and reliability.
- Demonstrated understanding of the main elements of effective science instruction in K-12 settings.
Job Location: Western Washington University , Bellingham, WA
Salary: Pay is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU’s Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume as noted on the EASE application.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references.
Western Washington University - 17 months ago