As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 24,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
The FEBI Technical Editor for Requirements Documentation assists in the design and development of Help Systems and technical documentation that support products developed for the U.S. Department of Education, Federal Student Aid. This responsibility is focused on usability standards and quality to ensure that specifications are interpreted correctly, standards are applied accurately and consistently, and delivery objectives are achieved.
The Technical Editor for Requirements Documentation is responsible for developing help systems in the Web environment. The Technical Editor for Requirements Documentation works directly with the FEBI project teams. Periodic contact with Federal Student Aid occurs in the form of attendance at customer requirements meetings and user acceptance testing.
Program and Product Areas
- FAFSA on the Web Help Text Documents and Development
- FAA Access Help Text Documents and Development
- ISIR Analysis (IA) Tool Help Text Documents and Development
- Technical Functional Specifications Quality Review
- FEBI Web Applications Documentation Standards Guide
- Proposal Support
- Desktop Publishing, Editorial, and Quality Control (QC) Support
1. Participate in project schedule creation to ensure that documentation steps have been identified and properly allocated.
2. Monitor progress and troubleshoot as needed to ensure established schedules are met for assigned products.
3. Meet deliverable dates for all assigned documentation deliverables.
4. Act as team leader on assigned projects as necessary, including assigning tasks to other resources and ensuring that tasks are understood (when applicable).
5. Ensure that all project team members sign off on content and accuracy of all deliverables.
6. Lead author of the FEBI Web Applications Documentation Standards Guide.
7. Provides input to other internal style guides and master listing of acronyms and terms.
8. Assist with guiding, training, and developing employees as needed.
1. Build help systems using help authoring tools.
2. Design, develop, and test online Web help in accordance with GDIT's engineering standards (e.g., All-in-One methodology) and current CMM Level.
3. Actively participate with the development teams to integrate the help system according to product specifications.
4. Follow established Help System style guides.
Bachelors Degree in English, Journalism or a related discipline.
8-10 years of related experience preparing and editing technical documentation.
1. Author/own the FEBI Web Applications Documentation Standards Guide, and incorporate new standards into the Standards Guide as appropriate.
- Technical Specifications Quality Review
2. Edit/QC FAFSA on the Web, FAA Access, and IA Tool functional specifications for grammar, spelling, standards, formatting, etc.
3. Edit/QC FEBI Web Applications Elicitation of Requirements Documents (ERDs) and Customer Requirements Documents (CRDs) for grammar, spelling, standards, formatting, etc.
1. Apply excellent written and oral communication skills (e.g., command of the English language—grammar, punctuation, style, and so on); Plain Language standards and standards contained in published styles guides (e.g., Government Printing Office, Chicago, Microsoft, and Associated Press); Federal Student Aid's publication standards; and GDIT's engineering standards to include the All-in-One methodology and current CMM level.
2. Interpret product specifications, and work with the technical teams and subject matter experts to determine how to document the information and offer suggestions for improving usability when appropriate.
3. Write clear, concise technical communications per developed Software Development Project Plans, requirements, and specifications to be consistent with the software application and/or system processing being developed.
4. Write update and revision to existing technical communications per developed Software Development Project Plans, requirements, and specifications to be consistent with the software application and/or system processing changes.
5. Edit, proofread, and spell-check own work for accuracy, completeness, and quality prior to review by internal staff members and customers.
6. Review, edit, and proofread other deliverables, as assigned, to ensure accuracy, completeness, and correct use of grammar and punctuation.
7. Ensure that all files are publication-ready prior to delivery and ensure that all files use correct style sheet conventions.
8. Assist in the evaluation and development of publication standards and follows established standards at all times.
9. Incorporate continuous improvement philosophy into daily work processes.
10. Convert files to PDF and HTML formats and create bookmarks within formats.
- Special projects as assigned
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Technical Operations (TechOps)
Potential for Deployment
General Dynamics - IT - 2 years ago
General Dynamics Corporation (General Dynamics) offers a portfolio of products and services in business aviation; combat vehicles, weapons...