Harman International Industries, Inc. is the worldwide leader in the manufacture of high-quality, high-fidelity audio and electronic products for automotive, consumer and professional use. For more than 50 years, our legendary brands have taken a leading role in the creation and innovation of progressive technologies, from the world's first car radio in 1948 to today's most revolutionary infotainment systems.
Requisition Number: ENG1643
Job Title: Principal Engineer - Navigation Traffic
Area of Interest: Engineering/ Technology
Career Level: Experienced (non-manager)
Position Type: Full Time - Regular
City: Vernon Hills
State / Province: Illinois
Country: United States Exempt
Principal Engineer - Navigation Traffic
HARMAN is the global leader in providing the world's automakers with infotainment systems that integrate navigation, multimedia and connectivity solutions to address the growing demand for in-vehicle information and entertainment. As the technology leader in the industry, HARMAN's systems offer the latest innovations in infotainment including 3D city models, augmented navigation, online services and advanced driver assist (ADAS) technologies. The Company's newest engineering center will lead the development of next-generation, connected car infotainment systems and automotive-grade cloud platforms. The infotainment systems will be based on open standards such as Linux and Android, and will offer increased customization through advanced integration both with personal smart devices such as smartphones and tablets, and with the cloud.
What you will do:
- Be a technical expert and contributor to the Harman navigation traffic software module that powers some of the most luxurious automotive brand names and is currently installed in millions of vehicles.
- Leverage existing codebase but also seek ways to improve the navigation module performance and capabilities. We believe that the driver should enjoy the journey as much as the destination and the routing engine is a key part of that experience.
- Work with other traffic leads for all technical questions related to traffic from internal and external customers. Create documentation and examples that help educate other engineers and customer support on the internals of the routing engine
- As part of a matrix organization work alongside with engineers, designers, testers and product managers in multiple locations as needed to help integrate and productize your solution.
- Participate in the design and architecture decisions on all components of a Navigation engine including address entry (geo-location), guidance, positioning (map matching), traffic, interfaces with the digital map and user interface modules
What you bring to the role:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science
- 5+ years experience in professional software engineering having shipped several consumer grade products
- 2-5 years of experience in C\C++ preferably with some exposure to embedded systems. You must be comfortable with STL templates and libraries such as BOOST or similar.
- Expert level knowledge in one or more of the following traffic technologies: FM RDS, TPEG, VICS, DARC, Sirius\XM traffic, Inrix, Navteq or similar
- Experience as a key contributor of a navigation engine traffic module with detailed insight to the following key topics: open and fixed reference location, generation of incident lists, matching events to map content, filtering extraneous messages to reduce processing load and processing thousands of messages simultaneously
- Good team player, must have worked as part of medium or large size team
- Join a brand new, rapidly expanding office in the heart of Vernon Hills, less than 30 minutes NW of Chicago
- Competitive salaries with 401K company matching
- Great benefits that include health, vision, dental and life insurance
- Professional career development programs and tuition reimbursement
- Deep employee only discounts on Harman products from legendary brand names such as JBL, Infinity, AKG and many more
- Willingness to work in an office near Vernon Hills, IL
- Willingness to submit to a background screen and a drug test
- Willingness to travel 5%
Harman International - 17 months ago