As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 21,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
The NCE Active IT Program was established to provide the infrastructure services required to build out and maintain the NCE facilities. The Exchange Engineer will work as part of an Exchange email service deliver team responsible for monitoring, managing, and maintaining the health of an Exchange environment on separate networks.
The Engineer will be responsible for managing Exchange server roles that include client access servers, hub transport servers and clustered mailbox servers. All Exchange servers completely run on VMware vSphere virtualized Windows 2008 servers with SAN attached storage. Disaster recovery and fault tolerance is configured on each of the mailbox servers which replicates to a Standby Continuous Replication virtual server.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
- Responding to trouble tickets that are beyond the Help Desk and Desktop support teams abilities to resolve an issue
- Participate in planning enhancements, conference calls, and upgrades to the Exchange environment
- Update documentation, write new procedures, and train help desk personnel one-on-one or in small groups about Exchange and Outlook
- Interface on technical issues and matters concerning Exchange with application teams and management
- Restore mailboxes using Quest Recovery Manager for Exchange (mailboxes are also archived through Symantec Enterprise Vault)
- Patching is also a responsibility of the Exchange team for Exchange servers and is completed on a schedule outside of core business hours
8-10 years of related systems engineering experience.
- Ability to monitor, test and analyze system activities to ensure maximum performance, efficiency, and availability
- Ability to analyze system for system usage and plan for growth or increases in system capacity
- Ability to identify and resolve problems affecting systems performance, efficiency, and availability in a timely manner
- Ability to assess the need for any system reconfigurations (minor or significant)
- Ability to maintain policies, procedures, and training plans for messaging system administration and appropriate use
- Knowledge of multi-site geographically dispersed fault tolerant Exchange 2007 environment
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Exchange 2007 including experience with mailbox server failover and cluster management
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Windows 2003, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, DFS, DFS-R, File and Print Services, and GPO validation, management, and implementation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Exchange PowerShell commands needed to manage Exchange 2007 features, roles, mailboxes, performance and troubleshooting
- Experience implementing and administering PKI/CAC-based Active Directory environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable with MS Office applications including MS Project, Visio with knowledge of Office Outlook 2007 features, configuration and troubleshooting
Current TS/SCI security clearance required.
- Knowledge of proper IT security procedures, positive customer interface skills; strong troubleshooting and conflict resolution skills
- Experience with VMware products; Vsphere, ESX/ESXi 4.0, Lab Manager
- Experience working in a team-oriented collaborative environment
- Experience troubleshooting client related issues and problems related to Outlook
- Ability to act as subject matter expert and trainer to helpdesk and desktop support technicians for problems related to Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows 2008 Server and Windows Active Directory
- Experience with server performance tuning and monitoring tools
- Experience with migration of Exchange 2007 to 2010 or exposure to Exchange 2010
- Ability to conduct research into server issues and products as required
- Experience with Symantec Enterprise Vault (archiving)
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI)
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Potential for Deployment
Generally dynamic, General Dynamics is a prime military contractor to the Pentagon (the US government accounts for about 70% of sales). The...