As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 24,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
General Dynamics IT has an immediate opening for a Principal Software Engineer in New Orleans, LA.
Successful candidate must be able to obtain and retain a Department of Interior security clearance. Candidates must be authorized to work in the US and a resident of the US for the previous 3 years with no longer than a 90 day absence.
Strong Java web applications developer with proven experience in project management of large web based applications initiatives. Requires expert knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures used in all phases of full life cycle applications and systems development, engineering, programming, and analysis at a highly technical level.
Contributing member and team lead of developers in deploying web-based, data-driven applications. Engaged in the development and implementation of system specifications, designs, integration, testing, and documentation. Develops risk management and mitigation strategies. Ensures compliance with QA standards.
1. Establish performance standards and objectives for development team, tracks/reports on the performance to IT Senior Management
2. Supervise and lead development of applications, Java and web applications design and architecture
3. Write object oriented Web application/interface code conforming to established methodology and standards
4. Supervise code reviews for adherence to standards and specifications
5. Designs, develops, codes, tests, and debugs complex new software products, or makes significant enhancements to existing software
6. Researches and integrates design strategies, product specifications, development schedules, and user expectations into product capabilities.
7. Resolves complex hardware/software compatibility and interface design considerations.
8. Conducts investigations and tests of considerable complexity.
9. Researches emerging technologies to determine impact on application execution
10. Provides input to staff involved in writing and updating technical documentation such as user manuals, system documentation, and training materials.
11. Troubleshoots complex problems and provides customer support for software operating systems and application issues.
12. Advises hardware engineers on machine characteristics that affect software systems, such as storage capacity, processing speed, and input/output requirements.
13. Prepares reports on analyses, findings, and project progress.
14. Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced software engineers.
15. May serve as a technical team or task leader.
16. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned
17. Participates in special projects as required.
Requires Master's degree in computer science or related field.
8-10 years of related software development experience
Applied knowledge of Agile Software Development methodology product development methodologies, database methodologies and system integration
Extensive experience developing applications using Java/J2EE technologies (JDBC, Servlets, JSP)
Experience with Oracle and ADF based applications is preferred
Experience in developing web based services and SOA
Experience in code management and version control
Knowledge and experience with project management tools
Experience coaching/supervising and mentoring staff
Should possess strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
Strong client relationship management skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is typically performed in an office environment, which requires normal safety precautions; work may require some physical effort in the handling of light materials, boxes or equipment.
The above job description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principal (essential) functions of this job.
General Dynamics Information Technology, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/D/V).
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Potential for Deployment
General Dynamics - IT - 23 months ago
General Dynamics Corporation (General Dynamics) offers a portfolio of products and services in business aviation; combat vehicles, weapons...