Redbox Automated Retail, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Coinstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSTR), offers new-release DVD, Blu-ray Disc®, and video game rentals through its network of conveniently located, self-service kiosks. Redbox has rented more than 2 billion discs and is available at more than 35,400 kiosks across over 29,000 locations nationwide, including select McDonald’s restaurants, leading grocery, drug and convenience stores, select Wal-Mart and Walgreens locations in select markets. For more information, visit www.Redbox.com . Information about Coinstar, Inc. can be found at www.coinstarinc.com .
Principal Software Engineer (Data Integration Development)
Principal Engineer is a senior integration team lead role within Redbox’s development team. This position will be responsible for design and implementation of new functionality. This person will be expected to deliver quality code, deliver on time and on budget, and have sound technical designs that are configurable and scalable to business conditions.
- Build integration team capability by recruiting and mentoring integration specialists.
- Oversees the team by assigning work, monitoring progress, and managing risks and issues
- Performs systems analysis, translating business/technical requirements into technical solutions.
- Design appropriate technical solutions.
- Collaborate with product owner and Business Analysts to obtain a clear definition of business requirements.
- Define technical estimates based on defined technology stack, resource availability, skill sets and priorities.
- Designs, develops and improves complex ETL structures to extract, transform and load data from multiple data sources into data warehouse and other databases based on business requirements.
- Designs and develops message-based integration solutions using SOA design principles, queuing techniques, and message-oriented middleware.
- Ensures accurate, appropriate and effective use of data; including data definition, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, and operational guidelines.
- Performs metadata validation, reconciliation and appropriate error handling in ETL processes.
- Performs application data development including updates to data models, creation and maintenance of data access code (typically stored procedures), and optimization of existing SQL.
- Conduct code walk-throughs to ensure quality.
- Creates and executes unit test scripts to identify and resolve defects prior to code integration.
- Monitors integration process activity and utilization, with particular strengths in performance tuning.
- Troubleshoots issues, validates result sets, recommends and implements process improvements.
- Ensures smooth transition of integration solutions into production through documentation and knowledge sharing.
- Drive the creation of common technical frameworks (scheduling, logging, instrumentation, caching, event queuing/routing/transformation, etc.) through a combination of new development and harvesting of existing functionality.
Education and Experience:
- Expert in database design and modeling principles.
- Deep experience with data warehousing concepts, terminology and architecture.
- Expert in Transact SQL, stored procedures, query execution plans, etc.
- Expert in SOA and Message-Oriented Middleware solutions.
- Ability to proactively identify, troubleshoot and resolve live ETL process issues.
- Experience running and supporting BI environments with multiple metadata sources.
- Experience working in agile environment including creating of automated build, testing, integration and data refresh processes.
- Expert knowledge of various data warehouse support solutions and software.
- Has excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills, is a proficient problem solver, has the ability to acquire new skills quickly and thrive in a collaborative team environment.
- Works well in a team environment and be able to effectively drive cross-team solutions that have complex dependencies and requirements.
- Experience with SQLServer 2008R2 is required.
- Experience with Software AG WebMethods is a strong plus.
In addition to a rewarding career, Coinstar, Inc. offers excellent employee benefits and competitive compensation. For more information about this position and to apply, please visit our website at www.coinstarinc.com/careers .
- Bachelor’s degree - preferably in computer science - or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in designing and developing applications.
- Minimum of 3-5 years working with outsourced partners utilizing off-shore development centers.
- 8+ years experience in design and development of complex near-real time and batch ETL processes.
- 5+ years experience with SSIS, SSAS and SSRS.