Position Title |
Process Control Engineer - Paper Machine Operations
Business Unit Description
MWV is a global leader in packaging and packaging solutions. Our fresh insights, innovative products, global manufacturing, and unparalleled service make us the partner of choice for many of the world’s most admired brands in the healthcare, beauty and personal care, food, beverage, home and garden, and tobacco industries. Our end-market expertise is also the foundation for success in our other businesses – Specialty Chemicals and the Community Development and Land Management Group.
We touch people’s lives every day, everywhere.
We help people keep track of their medications ( Dosepak ®, and Shellpak ® packaging), take care of their homes and gardens ( Mixor ® Trigger Sprayers) and their communities ( Evotherm ® asphalt). We develop products and solutions that not only grow our customers’ brands, but also improve our – and their – customers’ quality of life.
With about 15,000 employees worldwide, MWV operates in 30 countries and serves customers in more than 100 nations. But no matter where we’re doing business, we do things the right way – with a focus on integrity, sustainability, and positively contributing to the communities in which our employees live and work.
MWV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Lead a team of contractors to maintain and optimize quality control systems (QCS) and web-inspection system (WIS) on the 3 paper machines at the Evadale Mill. Responsibility includes maintaining gauging system calibration, grade code specifications & parameters, making proactive preventative maintenance, and optimizing MD & CD controls for basis weight, moisture, caliper, and coat weight. Work with operation, quality assurance, technical sales service, and maintenance to trouble shoot daily production issues, resolve long term stability issues, and establish work procedures to sustain process improvement. HOW YOU WILL IMPACT MWV
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Ensure that preventive and corrective maintenance on the hardware and software for the QCS & WIS is completed.
- Make improvement, if necessary, to daily, weekly, monthly, and annual preventive maintenance schedule to improve system reliability, availability, and accuracy.
- Assists with the design and implements new hardware and software packages to improve production, quality, safety, economy and operation of the Evadale mill.
- Work independently and in conjunction with vendor personnel to refine tuning of quality control systems to increase capabilities and optimize process stability.
- Track impact of improvement programs using internal and external reject rate as the primary matrix as well as productivity improvement.
- Assists in capital projects with other company personnel, consultants, and contractors. Provides QCS & WIS expertise and is responsible for startup and operation. Performs appropriate planning and prevents project delays.
- Interacts with members of operations, engineering, quality and technical sales service to address QCS & WIS needs and implement their recommendations.
- Interacts with paper machine operation and area maintenance coordinators to insure optimal communication of maintenance needs for the system.
- Work on special projects as directed by Process Control Area Leader.
- Continually seek to be in a learning mode in all activities. Seek advice of Process Control Systems Area Leaders, Sr. Engineers as well as operations and maintenance staff in up-grading knowledge and skills in control theory as well as paper machine process.
- Continue to increase operator understanding of the QCS control and general process control through MOS (Management Operating System) and other training avenues.
- Maintains professional competence and knowledge in the QCS & WIS, controls industry and in the manufacturing process.
This position will be offered internally at grades 15-16 depending on experience.
- Associate’s Degree required, Bachelor’s degree in Engineering preferred. Electrical, chemical, or pulp and paper disciplines preferred. Six to eight years of previous QCS experience in the paper industry can be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- Three to six years of pulp and paper manufacturing experience in the paper machine operation or paper machine process desired. Combination of paper machine process control and paper machine process engineering would be ideal.
- Previous experience with MD and CD tuning and process optimization is a plus.
- Previous experience with imaging system and pattern recognition software.
- Must be willing to perform in an on call environment, including weekends, and some shift work.
- Demonstrated good organization and communication skills. Capable of creating work plans to solve complex issues in an organized and well documented manner.
- Able to communicate with different levels within the organization.
- Basic understanding of measurement calibration and instrumentation.
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills with ability to analyze data and recommend solutions.
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly.
- Experience in RCA (Root Cause Analysis) is a plus.
United States of America
MeadWestvaco - 17 months ago
MWV is a global leader in packaging and packaging solutions. Our fresh insights, innovative products, global manufacturing, and unparalleled...