Procurement specialist holds a key position in the Operations department, responsible for managing vendor relationships, bids and their evaluation, cost, supply agreements and cost/process improvement projects with our partner vendors. Specialist will work closely with other Food Bank departments to ensure strategic procurement and sourcing meets organization’s needs.
- Works closely with Food Bank Agency Relations, Food Distribution departments, and Logistics to coordinate procurement of all wholesale food;
- Manages Feeding America Choice system bidding system by understanding Food Bank member network needs, warehouse capacity and Agency Relations guidance;
- Prepares bid specifications and other necessary documents related to the purchase of food, supplies, materials and equipment and places orders with appropriate bidder(s);
- Compares costs and evaluates the quality and suitability of supplies, materials and equipment. Interviews and corresponds with vendors;
- Confers with and assists officials of all departments to determine purchasing needs and specifications.
- Stays informed of market conditions and trends and proactively works with Agency Relations to meet the growing and changing need of our Food Bank member network;
- Stays on top of changing NY OGS contract opportunities for discounts for Food Bank needs;
- Contribute to development of the evolving sourcing strategy for the company, supplier score carding, supply risk evaluation and mitigation, contract development and negotiation.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher is required.
- Considerable knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures and of the techniques of specification writing.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn food industry trends.
- Considerable knowledge of a variety of office, technical, and maintenance supplies and materials, the best sources, and appropriate prices for the procurement of such goods.
- Considerable knowledge of methods of analyzing supplies and materials.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Food Bank department leads and vendors.
- Ability to work from either office location. 39 Broadway – Lower Manhattan and Hunts Point Warehouse – Bronx
- Strong knowledge of the food industry is preferred.
- 2 years ago - save job