New York Public Radio seeks a Producer for Data News who has a strong interest in public media and a passion for news, data, new technology and crowd-sourced journalism.
This position intersects with the newsroom and NYPR’s digital media group. Reporting to the Senior Editor of Data News, y ou will work hand-in-hand with reporters, producers and editors for WNYC News, The Brian Lehrer Show, It's A Free Country, New Jersey Public Radio and other news/information services.
- Help to create, build and administer data news projects for publication on WNYC.org and other NYPR sites
- Find, collect, clean and maintain data used as the basis for Data News projects
- Write blog posts for the WNYC Data News Team blog
- Maintain project tags and references in the content management system
- Build small-scale data-driven charts, maps and games
- Actively participate in and contribute to brainstorming with reporters, editors and producers for new projects
- Monitor old maps and projects for changes, updates and fixes
- Assist the Senior Editor for Data News & Journalism Technology in other project-related tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Demonstrated experience in working commercial, educational or non-profit digital media editorial production required
- Basic HTML markup knowledge required.
- Knowledge of basic mathematics and statistics required
- Experience working with content management systems required
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills and concepts as necessary required
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to juggle several projects concurrently
- Knowledge of US, NJ, NY State and NYC-area politics a plus
- Knowledge of Computer Science principles and practicalities a plus
- Experience with mapping and data management a plus
- A can-do, solutions oriented attitude is very important
All positions at NYPR require:
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
- Use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods including but not limited to; email, internet based applications for internal and external communications
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and/or WQXR content and mission a plus
- Compliance with WNYC/WQXR policies and guidelines
- Ability to work extended hours as needed