New York Public Radio seeks a Product/Interaction Designer with a strong affinity for new technology. You will work as part of an agile team to support WNYC, WQXR, The Greene Space, New Jersey Public Radio and such national shows as Radiolab, On the Media, Soundcheck and Studio 360.
Reporting to the Director of Product Development & User Experience, you will work closely with engineers to design products that are simple but great for the user, focusing on interaction and visual design. Using your keen design aesthetic you design and conduct experiments with real users so that improvements to the user experience are based on real user behavior. Your job is to make sure that our products are intuitive, accessible and usable to our users.
You will contribute to the overall product strategy through concept generation, prototyping and collaboration with withe product & engineering teams to promote feature integration, as well as working with researchers to design user experiments to test your designs. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a demonstrated history of taking ownership of projects.
This is a contract opportunity targeted for up to 3 months, with a chance to go full time.
- Create wireframes and "pixel-perfect" mockups to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
- Gauge the usability of new and existing products, and making constructive suggestions for change
- Iterate on and test designs
- Make high-level contributions to strategy with new conceptions of existing and future product features
- BA/BS (In lieu of degree, 4 years relevant work experience).
- Solid portfolio & 4 years relevant work experience, including demonstrated experience in designing usable web-based interfaces
- Strong, clean and elegant visual design aesthetic
- Strong eye for typography, layout, and color
- Experience with mobile first design
- Active listener who asks good questions and puts the company first
- Creative, innovative, & out-of-the-box thinker
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- HTML5, XML, HTML, CSS, JSON fluency
- A dribble (or similar) portfolio
- A public github/gitorious/launchpad/etc portfolio
- Experience in jQuery or Backbone.js
- Open-source project participation
All positions at NYPR require:
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
- Use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods including but not limited to; email, internet based applications for internal and external communications
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and/or WQXR content and mission a plus
- Compliance with WNYC/WQXR policies and guidelines
- Ability to work extended hours as needed
New York Public Radio - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard