The Product Manager supports the development of HMS’s application software by working closely with our Customers, Programming, Sales & Marketing, Support, Implementation and Professional Services. The
Product Manager performs a study of the business/clinical processes in the development of software enhancements
to ensure efficient workflow and continued competitiveness of the applications.The Product Manager provides analytical and educational support to key HMS departments by remaining knowledgeable of HMS software use and operational needs of the hospital. This role leads other development staff in projects and supports the organization as needed in non-development roles as required to meet organizational goals.
- With a focus on the advanced clinical applications (Patient Care Documentation, Clinical View, eMAR and CPOE) this position develops/prioritizes enhancements obtained from competitive analysis, customer advisory groups, physician advisors, HMS user requests, regulatory requirements and feedback from HMS internal department (i.e. Sales, Implementation, Support, etc.)
- Develop a business/clinical case and functional requirements document for all enhancements based on HMS development standards. Obtain concurrence on the proposed enhancements from each of the affected parties.
- Develop and manage advisory boards and user groups to assist in the development of strategy and product changes for the advanced clinical applications.
- Continuously review and prioritize enhancements based on user benefits, market demand, contracts or contract addendums, prior commitments and release schedules. This includes maintaining the HMS User Request system for responsible products.
- Assess regulatory requirements and changes such as those from CMS, HIPAA, Meaningful Use Regulations, The Joint Commission and state agencies in a proactive manner and determine if software changes are needed or required. The Project Manager will then work with programming in planning changes to product design to comply where appropriate. These changes become enhancements and follow product enhancement policies and procedures.
- Maintains knowledge on healthcare trends, especially for assigned product(s).
- Knowledgeable of operational issues that surround supported products.
- Work with/consult Product Managers/Programming Managers when developing product specifications to ensure that functionality is integrated fully and properly with other HMS applications.
- Work with the Programming Department as needed to develop technical specifications from the functional specifications.
- Manage the development process to get optimal design output and manage changes to the design coming through review processes. This includes reviewing and signing off the conformity of the designed software to the functional specifications. The product manager works closely with Programming throughout the project to gain concurrence on product design. The Project Design document must be updated with all changes made to the design during the review and programming process prior to submission to the QA department.
- Manage the development process through the use of resource estimates, scheduling, deadlines, etc.
Maintains project schedule, coordinates conflicts and system requirements with applications.
- Work with the QA department, as needed, in developing testing scenarios and document/communicate any special testing requirements on individual projects.
- Train appropriate personnel to be effective presenters of key functionality.
This includes training the educators in the Professional Services department on product enhancements prior to the beta testing period of each release, and as needed, to assist training of employees and clients.
- Work with the Documentation and Implementation teams, as needed, on use of delivered software (i.e. document needs, business benefit, how to install, how to train, etc.)
- Effectively conduct meetings by managing the scheduled time with an itemized agenda, goals to achieve, issues for discussion outlined, and at the end of the meeting, clarification of decisions made and action items for follow-up defined.
- Communicate new product offerings and significant changes internally and externally (customers) through various forums. This includes presentation of enhancements to executive stakeholders, key HMS corporate partners and individual facilities.
- Attendance at regional User Groups and HMS regional training events, as needed, and participation with the annual Exposition is required.
- Collaborate with the Support Department for problem resolution.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or Nursing Informatics.
- Master’s in Nursing Informatics or Master’s in Clinical Informatics preferred.
- Active Nursing License
- 3-6+ years experience working in a hospital that uses an electronic medical record system including online patient documentation, eMAR (Electronic Medication Administration Record), and CPOE.
- Collaboration and team management skills required.
- HMS experience preferred.
- Experience with other vendor information systems a plus.
- Good project management skills.
- Good interpersonal skills that includes the ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent analytical skills to evaluate and distill large amounts of information.
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills with the ability to complete tasks in full and on time.
- Must be detail oriented, organized, and have the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to demonstrate supportive relationships with peers, clients, partners, and corporate executives.
- Must be flexible with a “can do” attitude and have the ability to remain professional under high pressure situations.
- Ability to retain and protect confidential material.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Negative pre-employment drug tests.
- Criminal and MVR backgrounds meet our company hiring criteria.
Healthcare Management Systems, Inc - 10 months ago