The Social Science Research Council seeks a program assistant for the African Peacebuilding Network.
The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is a not-for-profit organization devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences. It does this through a wide variety of workshops and conferences, fellowships and grants, summer training institutes, scholarly exchanges, and publications. The SSRC invites applications for the position of program assistant to the African Peacebuilding Network program.
Funded by Carnegie Corporation of New York, the African Peacebuilding Network (APN) supports independent African research on conflict-affected countries and neighboring regions of the continent and the integration of African knowledge into global policy communities. The APN facilitates research projects and networking activities involving African academics, policy analysts, and practitioners working on peacebuilding issues by offering competitive research grants and other forms of targeted support.
For more information on our organization and the APN program, please visit our website .
• Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Sciences degree required.
• Previous work experience with, or detailed knowledge of, Africa and peacebuilding preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills and a high degree of professionalism are essential.
• Excellent organizational skills, with strong attention to detail.
• Experience and/or familiarity with Web and database development preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and respond flexibly to changing demands.
• Proficiency in MS Office (including Word, Excel, Outlook), database management, and Internet applications.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize daily activities to meet competing deadlines.
• 1-2 years administrative, research, or related work experience in a non-profit or academic environment preferred.
• Ability to travel internationally (5%).
• Support the APN Program Director with the overall administration of the program.
• Assist with the selection process for committee members, including maintaining a database of potential committee members and related correspondence.
• Organize on- and offsite workshops and meetings. This includes handling logistical support, preparing meeting agendas and other relevant meeting materials, and coordinating and facilitating correspondence with participants and all relevant constituents during workshops and meetings.
• Serve as rapporteur for program workshops and meetings, which will include taking minutes of complex discussions, drafting event summaries, etc.
• Assist with the production of advertising and outreach materials.
• Help expand the program’s online presence, which includes managing and updating program webpages and social media applications.
• Assist with drafting program reports and proposals.
• Maintain contact lists and databases and manage APN files and records.
• Work with budgets and financial reports and process and reconcile expenses against budgets.
• Other duties and additional responsibilities and projects as directed, depending upon interest and capacity.
Terms, Salary and Benefits
Annual salary of $30,000. Comprehensive benefits include health, dental, vision, disability, life, and gym reimbursement; $1,500 annual tuition and/or student loan reimbursement; outstanding pension plan and tax savings programs; generous vacation and sick leave; and more.
Social Science Research Council - 12 months ago