● Bachelor's degree and at least one year experience in program planning and coordination or related administrative experience or a combination of education and relevant administrative experience to total five years
- Experience supervising other employees
● 3 or more years of program administration experience
● Demonstrated ability to multi-task and adapt to shifting work flows
● Experience working with international students
● Experience using the University of Minnesota's PeopleSoft system, Microsoft Office, and other data management software
● Experience using organizational skills and working with project details
● Work experience using a variety of communication skills (written, verbal, listening)
● Experience in a cross-cultural setting and ability to work effectively with diverse audiences, especially international students
Key responsibilities of the position include coordinating the student registration and other program processes, maintaining program records, and supervising student services staff. This position reports directly to the Director of English Language Programs and requires strong interaction and collaboration with MELP and PTI Program Directors, faculty, and many University departments and offices.
1. Program Administration (40% of time)
● Manage the MELP student activities program by planning activities for each the term, creating the activities calendar, making reservations and ordering supplies or transportation as needed, and overseeing faculty and student leader involvement in the activities.
● Coordinate MELP assessment program by planning and scheduling assessments, maintain testing materials and work with publishers to obtain new materials, maintain the test results database, oversee faculty involvement in assessment administration, train test proctors, and coordinate ratings with the faculty composition rating team.
● Oversee preparation of MELP orientation week materials for new incoming students.
● Coordinate registration of MELP and PTI students and oversee registration changes.
● Coordinate AZ hold process; work as point person with the admissions office, departments, and advisers across the University on issues related to AZ holds, meet with students and advise them on AZ hold requirements, maintain AZ hold database to track student compliance.
● Provide orientation, training, and assistance as needed for new or adjunct instructors and maintain the online faculty handbook.
2. Information Management (25% of time)
● Create and maintain new MELP student records in PeopleSoft, APLUS, CRM, and other student record systems.
● Manage, maintain, and modify centralized program files, records, and file systems, make recommendations for program improvements.
● Design and maintain data management systems for MELP and PTI including program purchases and invoices.
● Work with MELP instructors to compile midterm and end-of-term student recommendations and coordinate the re-registration process for students.
● Manage registration permission numbers for MELP and PTI courses.
● Coordinate office technology and equipment needs with CCE's Office of Information Systems.
3. Course Management (25% of time)
● Coordinate class scheduling for MELP and PTI programs for approximately 150 courses per year. Schedule courses with the Program Directors, serve as liaison with Classroom Management, and create class schedules for programs.
● Coordinate textbook and course packet ordering with faculty including soliciting and organizing feedback from faculty.
● Coordinate course evaluation process; distribute evaluation packets and results to faculty and program administrators, oversee the compilation of evaluation data for program improvement. Make recommendations to the Program Directors for program improvement.
● Monitor course enrollments by gathering, compiling, and processing data and relaying updated information to program faculty and staff.
● Keep faculty informed of grading procedures and deadlines and monitor compliance.
4. Supervise personnel (10% of time)
● Supervise Student Services Specialist. Maintain knowledge of student services procedures, website updates, and marketing.
● Manage and train student worker(s).
● Coordinate front desk coverage, managing the workers' schedules to ensure that desk is covered at all times.
The English Language Programs unit in the College of Continuing Education (CCE) includes the Minnesota English Language Program (MELP) which offers English language instruction for international students and other non-native speakers of English, and the Program in Translation and Interpreting (PTI), which offers courses and a certificate for bilinguals who want to develop skills as interpreters and translators. The person in this position will have extensive interaction with faculty and international students.
Applications will only be accepted through the UMN online employment system. To apply, submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the position and relevant qualifications, a current resume, and a list of three references including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses where they can be contacted.
Position is open until filled. Priority will be given to applications received by November 29, 2012.
Does this position require a background check?