Altarum Institute is a nonprofit systems research and consulting organization serving government and private sector clients, since 1946. Headquartered in Ann Arbor, MI with offices nationally, our focus is solely on improving health and health care. Combining the analytical rigor of a research institution with the business agility of a consulting firm, the Institute is uniquely positioned to deliver practical, systems-based solutions to its clients. Altarum’s nonprofit status ensures that the public interest is always preeminent in our work.
Altarum’s Veterans Affairs Program Management (VAPM) practice area is pleased to announce an opening for a Program Management Service Area Manager (SAM). Our current project portfolio includes Program Management Office (PMO), Project Portfolio Management (PPM) and Enterprise Portfolio Management (EPM) support, Integrated Project Team (IPT) facilitation services, Programming Planning Budget and Execution Systems (PPBES), Project Management Accountability Systems (PMAS) and Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS). This position is designed to help lead business line expansion efforts by developing relationships with new clients, strengthening relationships with current clients, developing new service offerings, and building internal teams and capacity.
Altarum is looking for an accomplished, talented, highly ambitious and motivated individual with a strong work ethic and desire to make a difference for our clients. This position requires building rapport and interacting with senior clients, developing new business with key client accounts, enhancing brand awareness through industry, developing relationships with strategic business partners, as well as mentoring and managing project team members and overseeing the development of major deliverables.
• Develop and maintain productive relationships with clients. Collaborate to plan engagement objectives and a strategy that addresses risk and performance improvement. Manage expectations of service delivery.
• Take personal accountability and ownership for business development activities, managing proposal development teams, responding to RFP’s or RFI’s, and meeting annual revenue and sales targets.
• Develop and execute service area strategic plans to include capacity and business development requirements.
• Deliver excellent client service by establishing performance goals and implementation plans to achieve high quality deliverables within expected timeframes and on budget. Monitor progress, manage risk, and confirm key stakeholders are kept informed about progress and expected outcomes.
• Other key project management duties may include: planning levels of effort (LOE’s), developing project road maps, setting milestones, assigning tasks, setting objectives, and meeting contract scopes of work.
• Assess current and future strategic client needs, match them with Altarum practice area capabilities, develop innovative solutions and present these solutions to the client in a clear and compelling manner.
• Human Capital Management responsibilities include: staff evaluations and personnel assessments, developing training goals, interviewing/hiring, and general staff management.
• Help develop people, teams, and provide constructive on-the-job feedback/training.
• Foster an innovative and team-oriented work environment with individual accountability and ownership to the success of the practice.
• Commit to developing knowledge, continue to learn and share knowledge with clients and team members.
• Build collaborative methods to develop and share internal reports with institute peers.
• Support strategic research and consulting initiatives within the institute and obtain development funding.
• Build productive teaming agreements and relationships with vendors, subcontractors, and strategic partners.
• Bachelor’s degree required in Finance, Business Administration, Healthcare Administration or related field; Master’s degree preferred (MBA, MHA, MPH).
• Seven (7) to ten (10) years of professional consulting experience with at least five (5) years of independently leading groups and project work plans. Five (5) years of Project Management experience; certification preferred (PMP, PgMP).
• Experience leading large projects, preferably in a consulting environment, developing work plans, coordinating resources to meet deadlines for deliverables, and tracking staff contributions.
• Ability to succeed in a dynamic environment and produce deliverables within tight timeframes, under pressure.
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills with experience and comfort presenting professional briefs and presentations to senior level management, clients, and stakeholders.
• Ability to leverage functional knowledge to provide strategic direction to clients and direct project activities.
• Experience developing successful business and technical proposals based upon requirements outlined in the Statement of Work.
• Proficient with consulting and technical tools (MS Office Suite, analytics, etc.)
• Be located within or willing to relocate to the Washington, DC area.
• Must be able to receive a U.S. Security Clearance (sole U.S. citizenship required).
Preference will be given to candidates with:
• Experience with federal healthcare systems, including the Veterans Health Administration and Military Health System.
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
• Experience with VA’s Project Management Accountability System (PMAS), ProPath, and Agile Methodology
• Prior Big 4 or other large firm consulting experience.
History of achievement and clear above and beyond behavior by demonstrating the following:
• a high level of motivation and a self starting attitude
• excellent oral and written communication skills
• strong analytical and problem solving skills
• creative problem solving skills
• a strong work ethic
• team building
• managing executive client relationships
Altarum Institute integrates objective research and client-centered consulting skills to deliver comprehensive, systems-based solutions that improve health and health care. A nonprofit, Altarum Institute serves clients in the public and private sectors.
Altarum's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V.
Altarum Institute is a nonprofit health systems research and consulting organization. Altarum integrates independent research and...