Under direction, directs and supervises staff working in community based programming with an emphasis on family preservation, reunification, safety and permanency; licenses foster homes and performs other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
• Selects, assigns, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff members.
• Addresses and resolves human capital issues including promotions, discipline, and other performance related matters.
• Prepares or oversees the compilation of an annual budget and authorizes the expenditure of funds.
• Communicates and implements agency-wide policies and procedures.
• Serves as a representative of the agency to internal and external customers regarding the work of programs and services with authority to make commitments with respect to actions taken.
• Performs intake duties as needed involving receiving and interviewing customers.
• Provides information, counseling, and assistance to family members.
• Makes recommendations for placement, discharge, or other action.
• Contacts family members and collaterals.
• Assists in planning recreational, educational, and other programming; monitors and supervises the programs in progress.
• Schedules and participates in staff conferences, training, and meetings with social work staff.
• Participates as a member of a quality team and interacts with primary, external, and internal customers of the agency in such a way that the customer experiences increasing quality.
• Prepares reports required by the program, agency and funders.
• Completes timely case related documentation.
• Markets program in a variety of community settings via church and community presentations, conferences, human services departments, etc.
• Potential screening of referrals and coordination of placements.
• Performs other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Considerable knowledge of the federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations governing child welfare, runaway and homeless youth.
• Considerable knowledge of interviewing and crisis counseling techniques.
• Working knowledge of supervision and management principles and practices including organization, procedural techniques, and decision making.
• Working knowledge of budgeting, planning, and analytical methods and techniques.
• Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in human resources matters and in the application of agency policies and procedures.
• Ability to interpret and apply agency rules, directives and policies, federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations.
• Ability to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate programs and services for customers.
• Ability to plan, organize, assign, supervise, and evaluate the work of others. • Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective public and working relationships.
• Ability to detect and recognize potentially hazardous situations and take immediate and appropriate action.
• Ability to use and learn computer software such as word processors and spreadsheets.
• Ability to prepare detailed and complex reports.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree required in Social Work, Psychology, Counseling or related field. Master’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Counseling or related field strongly preferred. Two years of experience working in Human Services or Social Work Field. Supervisory experience strongly preferred.
Ability to communicate complex ideas and information to a variety of audiences in both verbal and written format.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Basic math skills such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, per cent, personal budgeting and division is required for this position.
REASONING ABILITY Incumbent must be able to make decisions based on compilation and integration of data, legal compliance, experience, training, instruction, best practice and consideration of impact to all stakeholders.
COMPUTER SKILLS Basic computer skills required. Familiarity with Word and Excel preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS Certification/Licensure preferred (CSW, APSW, MFT, LPC, or other related certification/licensure)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristic described here are representative of those an employee counters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The incumbent of this position works in an air-conditioned, office environment, with a shared workspace. The incumbent will also be exposed to outdoor weather conditions when traveling on company business. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TRAVEL: The ability to travel 20% of the time.
Lutheran Social Services - 30+ days ago
Lutheran Social Services of Michigan (LSSM) creates communities of service. We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion while...