The San Diego Immunization Program, including the Immunization Registry (SDIR), is a comprehensive and Countywide program which seeks to reduce vaccine preventable diseases by increasing coverage rates among all San Diego County residents. This program is co-located with the HHSA Epidemiology and Immunization Services Branch (EISB) at the Rosecrans Health and Human Services Complex.
Under general supervision, the Programmer will abstract and compile data from SDIR. Incumbent will utilize database software development such as MS Access, SQL, MS Office, databases on Windows servers and desktops. Design, code, test, debug new queries or database components as well as make necessary changes to existing programs to meet project needs and challenges using Visual Basic, VBA, and SQL programming languages. Design and perform reports requested by users. Write scripts and programs using various languages (examples above) and tools to automate maintenance and other tasks. Co-develop, troubleshoot, and consult on new and existing web database applications that support critical project functions, such as web-based in-and-out board or immunization resource database. Actively participate as a key member of SDIR team by designing, implementing, and documenting data management and data capturing procedures. Maintain applications to view and analyze information. Use initiative and vision to create innovative ideas and approaches to enhance techniques used to realize the project's objectives. Assist with statistical analyses when appropriate and prepare written materials related to study data and analysis. Frequently interact with users and project teams to establish system specifications and resolve issues inherent when requirements are derived from non-technical users, both within and outside the organization. The programmer works with a small group of developers and systems programmers, as well as external contractors who provide project-specific programming support. Use exceptional communication and documentation skills to contribute within a cross-functional team of researchers, programmers, web designers, and project staff.
Location: San Diego County Health Services Complex of Rosecrans Street.
Must have access to reliable transportation.
Flexible hours may be required, including evenings and weekends to accommodate the testing of SDIR business meetings as well as participation in educational classes.
- BS Degree in Computer Science; or a comparable combination of education and work experience.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with Structured Query Language, and advanced internal manipulations of databases.
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated experience in managing and creating complex relational database models related to research data.
- Possess excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Working knowledge of immunizations and San Diego Immunization Registry. ( preferred )
- Demonstrated skill in organizing, analyzing, managing time, setting priorities and meeting deadlines for multiple tasks.
- Possess a valid CA driver's license.
- Background check required.
University of California - San Diego - 22 months ago