The purpose of this position is to serve as a program/project manager for the Public Health-Health Information Technology Project (PH-HIT). PH-HIT Project is also described as the Electronic Health Record (EHR) and Practice Management System (PMS) project. This project is replacing the current Signature systems as well as brings in a new EHR for Public Health-Seattle & King County (Public Health.) This is an approved King County IT Capital Improvement Project, which is operating under PRB (Project Review Board) and KCIT (King County Information Technology) governance. The incumbent will provide a high level of technical and specialized expertise which may be applied in health care services, systems or project planning and implementation, direction of others, or complex research and analysis.
This position will serve as program/project manager including technical expert with unique skills in health center programs, communication and project scheduling. The program project manager will manage and oversee project deliverables and timelines and report to the PH HIT Project Manager.
Who May Apply: This full-time, career service position is open to all qualified applicants. The term of this position is anticipated to be not less than two to four years and may be extended or established as a regular position. Applicants from this job posting may be used to fill temporary or other positions in this classification for a period of up to a year.
Work Location: Chinook Building, 401 Fifth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104
Work Schedule: This position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not overtime eligible. The normal workweek is Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
APPLICATION PROCESS (submit electronically):
- Job Application with completed supplemental questions.
- Letter of Interest detailing your background and describing how you meet or exceed the requirements are required.
You can attach multiple documents if necessary or required, such as your cover letter or resume to your application. Your options are:
- Copy and paste one or more documents into the text resume section of the application.
- Attach multiple documents/files in the resume attachment section.
Your application may be rejected as incomplete if you do not include the relevant information in the online application and include the information only on the resume. Applications and/or Supplemental Questionnaires that state "see my resume" or "see my personnel file" are considered incomplete and will not be accepted. Cover letters and/or optional resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Contact: For more information about the application process, please contact Sarah Fish at Sarah.Fish@kingcounty.gov or (206) 263-8738.
Examples of Duties:
Planning, Design, Project Management and Implementation
- Develop project strategy, work plans and schedules. Work with Public Health management, program managers, KCIT Project Team Leads, front line staff consultants, contractor staff and project team to understand budgetary, statutory and operating conditions for the project and incorporate into the project plan and implementation. This includes supporting and coordinating responsibilities for meeting project team objectives including planning, evaluation, and implementation.
- Participate in the strategic planning and design of PH – Health Information Technology (PH-HIT) Improvement Project. Lead planning and project management for assigned project areas and teams including deliverables.
- Serves as expert, and provide analysis for recommend the course of action necessary to plan and implement the PH HIT Project. Independently develop alternative solutions to business challenges and make solution recommendations.
- Assist in managing the HIT Project Plan using approved project management tools including MS Project. Identify and manage resources, dependencies, duration and budget, to meet health services program needs related to the Public Health HIT Project using tools including MS Project.
- Evaluate, analyze for recommendations, and monitor quality assurance standards for compliance with regulations, including meaningful use, and develop policies and procedures for health center operations and support for Public Health HIT Project.
- Develop and provide training to staff for PH HIT planning and implementation; develop and provide guidelines, materials and other resources. Facilitate staff development, related to the Public Health HIT Project.
- Provide contract management and oversight to ensure deliverables meet Public Health requirements. Participate in the review of contractual specifications for compliance. Research and make recommendations regarding issues and clarification of contract language.
Serve as technical advisor and staff for Human Resources, Change Management, System Support and Communications
- Serve as a staff and technical adviser to Public Health Management, and Project staff in the areas of Human Resources, Change Management, System Support and Communications. Staff and manage the work plans and work for sub-committees related to the project. Work effectively with project team and operational staff to provide information to ensure that they and their employees have the requisite information and regulatory requirements to carry out responsibilities related to PH HIT Project and operational improvements.
- Recognize and apply Public Health standards and regulations
- Advise and facilitate the development and implementation of department policies and procedures for best practice, system requirements and to comply with appropriate regulations.
- As a technical staff, serve as in individual contributor in performing the work of the project, which includes performing research, analysis, planning, recommendations and input into implementation plans.
- Coordinate and work with teams, labor and staff to review existing business process and to re-engineer process for more efficient quality of care utilizing the electronic health record and new practice management system. This includes reviewing, documenting and evaluating work flows, to determine best practice. Develop project recommendations or issue paper. Write complex analytical reports. Manage data gathering.
- Coordinate work done by team. Manage data and information gathering. Resolve team or unit issues. Provide coordination to project team. Coordinate review/comment processes related to project or program.
- Research, develop and decision proposals and decision packages for management.
- Plan and assist in developing system requirements, evaluate requirements and implement new systems in order to support health center operations and management under the direction of the PH HIT Project Manager or designee. Evaluate physical and technical requirements for best practice recommendations and implementation.
- Plan and direct and/or lead the work of professional and/or administrative staff.
- Provide technical project management and development including technical project plans, PRB documentation and support with direction from Technical Team leads and technical subject matter experts.
Management and Communication
- Provide various communications devices to communicate project status and means for external and internal information sharing, involvement and communications. Identify communications needs and issues; communicate information about project and activities. Coordinate and promote special events and activities. Research, create and coordinate the development of public and staff communications products.
- Bachelor's degree in businesses, health, or public administration and three years of experience in health care management, health information management, billing, coding, training, data management and quality, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties as described in the job announcement.
- Demonstrated knowledge in planning, implementing new systems including but not limited to electronic health records and practice management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use project management principals to plan, design and implement strategies for large and complex projects including developing project management systems, assessing and documenting requirements, and re-assessing requirements for a successful implementation. Must have at least one year experience using MS Project preferably version 10.
- Demonstrated ability to apply quantitative and qualitative analysis and evaluate data for decision making.
- Demonstrated ability to manage operations of a diverse and multi-disciplinary and/or represented staff; supervise and managed day to day activities of staff, and/or lead the work of assigned staff.
- Demonstrated skill in written and oral communications, interviewing, negotiating and public speaking.
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service by serving as an expert adviser to internal customers and ability to collaborate with internal and external partners on project/program business requirements and deliverables.
- Demonstrated management and leadership practices that reflect good judgment, creative thinking in problem-solving, team work and ability to make effective and appropriate decisions which cross departmental boundaries.
- Understanding of contract principles and practices, documentation preparation, and negotiation
- Experience working in Public Health clinic operations and/or programs preferred
- Skills in the preparing communication materials that address the needs of targeted audiences
- Skill in making decisions about the types of communications methods or tools necessary for assigned work while being sensitive to the political environment.
- Skill in writing and editing and/or illustrating information in a clear and concise manner.
The selected candidate will be required to pass a thorough background investigation.
This selection process may include but is not limited to: evaluation of application materials and supplemental questions, testing and interviewing. For more information on our selection process, please refer to http://www.metrokc.gov/health/about/hiring.htm
Public Health relies on office automation (Microsoft Office) and web-based enabled tools, therefore candidates must be proficient and comfortable with computer use to perform functions associated with on-going work.
Employees are required to adhere to OSHA/WISHA guidelines including but not limited to completing their mandatory trainings on time and obtaining required immunizations.
Regular and reliable attendance, effective communication skills, and development of effective working relationships are requirements of all Public Health positions.
Employees are required to protect the privacy and security of protected health information as defined in State and Federal Law.
Staff may be required to play an active role in the event of a public health emergency, which may include changes in responsibilities and working hours.
If you need a disability accommodation in the application or testing process, please call the contact number listed on the job announcement.
Public Health - Seattle & King County - 12 months ago