St. John’s Well Child and Family Center (SJWCFC) is an independent 501(c)(3) network of Federally Qualified Health Centers that has grown from a small, volunteer clinic founded in 1964 to one of the most significant safety-net providers in Los Angeles County. SJWCFC serves patients of all ages through a network of ten clinics spanning Central and South Los Angeles and Compton. The organization’s mission is to eliminate health disparities and foster community well-being by providing and promoting the highest quality care in South Los Angeles. SJWCFC’s work is based on a holistic vision of public health that addresses the complex web of socio-cultural factors that impact individual, family, and community well-being. Slum housing, a pervasive issue in Central and South LA, poses a significant public health threat by causing and/or exacerbating health issues including lead poisoning, respiratory conditions such as asthma, skin infections, vermin bites, and chronic allergies.
Project Description: Healthy Homes South Los Angeles (HHSLA) is a collaborative comprised of SJWCFC, Esperanza Community Housing Corporation, and Strategic Actions for a Just Economy. HHSLA views healthy homes as a critical component of the larger framework of health and human rights. Within that framework, community clinics, community health promoters, and grassroots activists have key roles to play. The HHSLA model combines: 1) primary health care services; 2) home-based case management and environmental assessment including assistance with hazard remediation; 3) legal assistance; 4) tenant organizing; 5) advocacy for improve systemic changes and legal enforcement based on fieldwork data.
Over the next three years, HHSLA will focus on the following goals:
Policy-making : 1) Establishing funding streams for case management services provided by community health promoters and 2) establishing a Blue Ribbon Commission to recommend policy changes to the City and County housing code enforcement systems.
Advocacy: 1) To engage more community clinics in conducting Healthy Homes work; 2) Make Blue Ribbon Commission recommendation a reality.
Legal Enforcement: 1) Support attorneys in the LA City Attorney’s Office to effectively prosecture landlords responsible for slum housing conditions
Production: Establish 120 Healthy Homes units in South Los Angeles
Position: Healthy Homes South LA Project Coordinator (grant funded)
Reports to: Director of Policy and Support Services
· Provide oversight and coordination for the grant-funded Healthy Homes South Los Angeles project.
· Create necessary infrastructure to advance project and reach grant objectives including coordination with leadership and staff of subcontracting agencies.
· Coordinate all project activities related to Policy, Advocacy, Legal Enforcement, and Healthy Homes Production objectives
· Supervise, coordinate, and monitor program evaluation activities
· Serve as primary liaison to funders
· Write and submit grant reports. Coordinate with relevant staff to collect the necessary data to report on achievement and evaluation of grant goals and objectives.
· Create HHSLA presentations, trainings, and technical assistance tools that can be delivered to other community health centers in South Los Angeles.
· Represent agency on relevant coalitions/collaboratives (e.g. Asthma Coalition of Los Angeles County).
· Represent agency at key events related to the Healthy Homes South Los Angeles project.
· 1-2 years experience in project management or coordination.
· Experience facilitating collaborative projects involving multiple departments or agencies.
· 2-3 years experience working in public health, social service, and/or public policy.
· Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in relevant field preferred.
· Excellent interpersonal skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Experience with, and knowledge of, multi-ethnic and underserved communities.
· Experience working on environmental or chronic disease issues (e.g. asthma, lead poisoning, etc.)
St. John's Well Child & Family Center
- 3 years ago - save job
St. John's Well Child and Family Center provides a broad continuum of care to patients by successfully piecing together a patchwork of...