Join our team and take your career to the next level. Windstream is a communications and technology solutions provider with operations in 48 states and the District of Columbia, generating about $6 billion in annual revenues. We provide IP-based voice and data services, MPLS networking, data center and managed hosting services and communication systems to businesses and government agencies. Windstream also delivers broadband, digital phone and high-definition TV services to residential customers primarily in rural areas and we operate a local and long-haul fiber optic network spanning 100,000 route miles.
The OSP Project Manager has overall responsibility for the design, permitting, material acquisition, construction and tie-in of outside plant construction projects as assigned by the company. The work includes conceptual development of projects, route development, cost estimating, project planning, project scheduling, mapping, communications with city, county and state permitting agencies, working with private property owners such as individuals and railroad companies to secure easements and licenses, working with telephone companies and private building owners to secure building entrance approval and installation of building entrances, development of construction bid documents, bid analysis and recommendation of contractors, contract negotiations, city, state and county permit applications, pole attachment applications, pole line make ready review, expediting, monitoring of contractor progress, contractor quality inspection and timely turnover of assigned projects.
Essential Job Functions:
• Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently. The OSP Project Manager is responsible for all phases of projects assigned. The project workload will likely include projects in all phases of development and execution.
• The OSP PM will monitor all aspects of the project and expedite or escalate as appropriate to achieve the cost, quality and schedule goals for the project. The OSP PM will make recommendations to management regarding ways to get the project back on track to meet cost, quality and schedule goals if it becomes apparent that any of those goals are not being met.
• Projects may range from short laterals and building entrances to complex metropolitan rings or cross country builds.
• Review and evaluate potential routes to determine least cost and quickest to market solutions. The OSP PM will summarize potential solutions and make logical recommendations to management.
• Prepare preliminary cost estimates and route proposals including descriptions of the proposed project and a map showing the preliminary route that is the basis for the estimate.
• Identification of pole ownership for proposed routes
• Identification of right of way and permitting requirements for proposed routes.
• Design and engineering of final approved projects including final route recommendation, field engineering and pole loading (these function are performed by others however the OSP PM is responsible for ensuring that the work is started and completed on time and is sufficient to obtain the required permit approvals.
• Identify and obtain pole attachment agreements and structure access agreement as need to facilitate cable placement and submit for and obtain pole attachment permits and structure access permits.
• Identify permit requirements for city, county and state construction permits and submit for and obtain permits as needed to facilitate cable installation.
• Work with company assigned attorneys to obtain required agreements, permits and other authorizations as required to allow cable installation
• Manage and direct all activities related to construction jobs to deliver them on time and within capital expenditure guidelines..
• Serve as an in-house Subject Matter Expert (SME) on outside plant installation and/or maintenance activities as well as Windstream Construction Practices.
• Knowledge of technical specifications and characteristics of telephone cable (copper and fiber), load coils, repeaters, pair gain equipment, placement of poles, attachments, cable load analysis, directional boring, trenching, plowing, easements, right-of-way, surveying, etc.
• Perform data analysis using input from multiple sources.
• Develop plans and implement strategies to complete projects within the days to day functions.
• Exercises sound judgement in selecting methods/techniques for obtaining solutions.
• Provide work guidance to construction crews for field deviations in support of new construction of outside plant network structures and facilities.
• Oversee site preparation and installation of remote cabinets including miscellaneous conduit routing, commercial power coordination, and placement of proper ground field.
• Provide direct supervision as necessary.
Description of Major Functions:
• Perform pre-construction site visit to evaluate and resolve any construction issues including the incorporation and coordination of any necessary modifications to the design plan.
• Assign and review work schedules for construction activities.
• Enforce all necessary safety practices and procedures relate to the construction activities.
• Reconcile final As-Built construction drawings, invoices and payments for the job.
• Inspect construction work to ensure compliance with standard contract units and descriptions.
• Communicate with other utilities, engineering, and/or construction personnel about construction issues.
College degree and 3-5 years professional level experience with 1+ years supervisory experience for roles with supervision; or 7+ years professional level related experience with 1+ years supervisory experience for roles with supervision; or an equivalent combination of education and professional level related experience required.
Professional Dues Reimbursement
Career Development and Training
Paid Time Off
Medical and Dental Insurance Options
Prescription Drug Plan and Vision Coverage
Pre-Tax Flexible Spending Accounts
401(k) Plan With Employer Match
Experience the benefits of a growing company
For all that you put into your job, you deserve the best in return. From a friendly, team-based environment to progressive salaries and health plans, our benefits work hard for you. See for yourself.
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. EOE/AAP Employer.
There is no relocation package offered for this position.
We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package,
and opportunities to grow your career within an excellent working environment.
WINDSTREAM IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Windstream Communications - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard -
Windstream is not just a Fortune 500 company. We’re also the provider of choice for four out of five Fortune 500 companies for data,...