The University of Southern California ( USC ), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC , you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
USC’s Centers for Creative Technologies/Institute for Creative Technologies located in Playa Vista is seeking a Project Specialist-Admin to join its Mixed Reality (MxR) team.
MxR explores techniques and technologies to improve the fluency of human-computer interactions and create visceral synthetic experiences. Research and prototypes focus on immersive systems for education and training simulations that incorporate both real and virtual elements. Projects push the boundaries of immersive experience design, through virtual reality and alternative controllers.
The Project Specialist-Administrative provides specialized professional support services to administrators and/or project managers in the administration of research and/or administrative projects; assists in the administration and coordination of a variety of research and/or administrative projects including planning, budgeting, organizing, research and delivery of services; coordinates and supervises work assignments of other administrative personnel as assigned.
The ideal candidate has worked in an university research environment, and is familiar with virtual/augmented reality technology. Experience in coordinating film production and/or media events is a plus. Experience processing purchasing requests is also advantageous.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
- Assists in the administration and coordination of a variety of research and/or administrative projects and provides quality control. Assists in developing and implementing project goals and strategies. Assists with short and long term planning and design of project direction and objectives. Provides assistance to management with administrative functions such as planning, organizing, coordinating, scheduling and implementing project activities to meet objectives. Participates in writing of reports or other documentation of project status and/or administrative activities or project results. Oversees administrative project personnel as assigned.
- Assists in the planning of data collection. Recommends methods and procedures for data acquisition, management and quality control. Recommends statistical techniques for data analysis as needed. Generates graphs, charts, or tables to present analysis results and provides interpretation. Prepares reports, correspondence, other materials and analysis according to project schedules or on an ad hoc basis, or instructs others to do so.
- Creates status reports on project plans, progress and results of activities. Coordinates publication production and/or dissemination in order to meet deadlines.
- Researches, gathers, organizes and summarizes data for project and/or administrative reports and/or activities. Analyzes data, presents results and makes recommendations on presentations of project and/or administrative reports.
- Evaluates effectiveness of project direction, schedules, activities, etc. Recommends and implements project activities and/or modifications of project activities and/or schedules as necessary to ensure achievement of project goals and objectives.
- Interfaces with faculty and/or staff and external contacts necessary to complete project assignments or for information exchange. Resolves problems or questions referred by project staff or administrators.
- Develops and maintains electronic databases and/or other records for reporting purposes. Enters and/or verifies database transactions as necessary. Provides technical support and design enhancements.
- Arranges and attends meetings, seminars, symposia and other events related to project efforts. Makes presentations, as needed. Establishes and maintains an active network of professional contacts. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Field of Expertise
Directly related project or administrative experience
worked in a university research environment, and is familiar with virtual/augmented reality technology. Experience in coordinating film production and/or media events is a plus. Experience processing purchasing requests is also advantageous
Supervises - Nature of Work
Preferred Field of Expertise
University of Southern California - 7 months ago