The Public Affairs & Government Relations Specialist assists the Managing Director, Public Affairs & Government Relations in working with the community and all levels of government in order to influence public policy and secure public funding in support of the organization's mission. This position researches opportunities for government funding and supports the application, review and reporting process. This position coordinates certain community meetings and meetings with elected officials and, as part of that role, manages the Twin Cities Community Advisory Council and the Community Impact Department's engagement initiative, "Listening for a Change."
The Public Affairs & Government Relations Specialist has primary responsibility for the organization's grassroots advocacy efforts, including the management of communication with MPR's regional network of advocates, Minnesotans for MPR. This position also supports the overall work of the Public Affairs & Government Relations team and assists on any and all projects related to the department's goals.
Required Education and Experience:
- Manage statewide grassroots advocacy efforts including Minnesotans for MPR;
- Project manage the Twin Cities Community Advisory Council.
- Project manage the Community Impact Department's engagement initiative, "Listening for a Change"
- Create and implement a strategy to grow Minnesotans for MPR and better engage advocates and the public through meetings and events, regular communication (electronic or otherwise), and other opportunities for involvement;
- Assist in creating and implementing a strategy to engage government staff and elected officials;
- Coordinate partnership or meeting requests from community organizations, and triage such requests to be managed by Public Affairs & Government Relations;
- Work collaboratively with departments throughout the organization on projects or events that involve government leaders, community groups or other constituencies;
- Arrange for meetings between MPR senior management, supporters and government leaders ;
- Coordinate management of the Public Affairs & Government Relations budget (including liaison with Finance) and maintain expense reports and reimbursements
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Political Science or similar field;
- Minimum of three years related experience.
Reporting To This Position: None
- Skill set and interest that thrives on seeking and maintaining excellent relationships with public and government officials;
- Ability to use communication to build strong relationships with key constituencies -- employees, journalists, donor community, members and the local community;
- Ability and initiative to bring new ideas to the table;
- Ability to be responsive to internal constituents,
- High degree of initiative and ability to function independently
- High level of attention to detail;
- Experience in successfully managing multiple initiatives that may need to be implemented simultaneously;
- Ability and interest in public speaking and in representing the organization at public events;
- Experience with consistent follow-through on commitments;
- Knowledge of project management, with an ability to manage projects from start to finish;
- Some experience in events management;
- Direct, trustworthy and trusting;
- Mission focused and understands how a mission drives an organization and its employees;
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Flexibility and ability to easily adapt to change;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide-variety of internal clients and staff;
- Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills;
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and work under pressure;
- Proficient with computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
oRequired to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
oRequired to move about in the community
oFrequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
oModerate noise level
oOccasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
American Public Media - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
American Public Media is the nation's second-largest producer of public radio programs, reaching more than 15 million listeners nationwide...