Certification as a public health nurse in Minnesota and current licensure as a registered nurse in Minnesota. Two years of nursing experience preferred. |
Individuals required to use County vehicles and equipment must have a valid Minnesota driver’s license and be free of any major traffic violations for the last three (3) years.
Nature of Work:
Under general public health nursing supervision, is responsible for patient care in a public health nursing program, such as Disease Prevention and Control, Clinic Services such as immunizations, Tuberculosis and Refugee Health, Parent/Child/School health, or Adult/Disabled health. Works with personnel in schools, local hospitals, other County departments and other agencies providing public health nursing services to individuals, families and the community. Performs case management in the clinic, community and/or home, instructs individuals and groups in the care of the sick, prevention of illness, and maintenance of individual, family and community health. Performs related work as assigned. Must be available to support the department during emergency situations.
Examples of Work:
- Works in an area, such as Clinic Services, Parent/Child/School health or Adult/Disabled Health, providing nursing services and education
- Compiles case findings through contacting physicians, nurses, social workers, schools, clergy and others
- Gives nursing care to individuals and families
- Assists families and individuals to recognize their health needs or problems and guides them in making plans to alleviate them
- Assess and screen clients and interpret findings to individuals and families the implications of medical diagnosis and helps them to carry out the treatment
- Interprets public health nursing and coordinates agency programs with others to achieve effective and efficient services
- Consults with physicians, school personnel, social service personnel and other agencies in the promotion of optimum health practices and referrals
- Facilitates community groups and coordinates county meetings in the assessment and education of citizens
- Conducts screening programs for target groups, makes appropriate referrals and provides follow-up
- Provides appropriate health promotion and education information to clients and target groups
- Assists in epidemiology disease surveillance and investigation activities
- Provides clinic services for immunizations, tuberculosis, refugee health, and well child exams
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
In compliance w/ the Americans with Disabilities Act the following represents the Physical/Environmental Demands : This position requires a majority of time (up to 70%) spent walking and sitting. Some standing is required and objects of usually no more than ten (10) pounds need to be lifted, carried or pushed. Adverse movements such as reaching overhead, bending or crouching are sometimes required. Simultaneous/repetitive use of both hands is required for writing and data entry. Excellent sensory skills are important (sight, hearing and speech) as well as ability to communicate effectively. No adverse working conditions.
- Prefer experience in clinical nursing duties or community health nursing
- Considerable knowledge of the application of nursing practices
- Considerable knowledge and practice of public health nursing theory
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and meaningful relationships with agency staff members, representatives of other agencies, patients and the general public
- Ability to give skilled nursing care to patients
- Ability to apply previously acquired knowledge and skills to new situations
- Ability to use supervision and guidance
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to make independent decisions
- Ability to assess nursing needs and to develop and carry out nursing care plans
Persons with disabilities: The above is a general listing of job duties. Essential and non-essential functions may vary by individual position. Reasonable accommodations may be available for both essential and non-essential job duties.
Olmsted County, MN - 10 months ago