The Publishing Services department with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is looking for designers interested in contract positions to assist in designing manuals, magazines, and other publication work for young adults in seminaries and institute programs.
This is a 20-40 hour/week position. Pay is competitive, and based on experience. You should have a minimum of 2-4 years of industry experience in print design, and a strong portfolio in book and catalog/magazine design is required.
You will be working on large publications (200-300 pages). Your daily work will be laying out XML text in templates, applying and creating InDesign styles, identifying and creating supporting graphics, charts, and photography. You will also help prep the publication for print production and translation. Some manuals are published as digital formats only, so a knowledge of Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite is a great bonus, but not required.
- A great eye for design and visual balance
- Solid understanding of layout, typography, and color
- Work under someone else's deisgn direction and learn quickly
- Partner with interactive designers to build interactive models from your designs for e-publications
- Fluent with Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Work with a deadline
- Self-starter and don't require a lot of supervision
- Experience in magazine and book layouts in InDesign, and exposure to print and digital publishing processes
- Demonstrate an ability to work on a large print publication, with repetative daily work. Experience in textbook layout would be helpful
Expert knowledge of InDesign is required. A general knowledge of XML or HTML is helpful. You should also be able to use Illustrator and Photoshop well.
Apply for the Job
You must be able to work onsite several days a week in downtown Salt Lake City. You also need to be a temple worthy member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If this sounds like you, please send us the following:
- At least 3 references
- Porftolio of work (links to posted work is fine), and an explanation of your role on the project
- 2 spelling errors made in this job listing