We are currently looking for a talented Publications Assistant to join our Community Journals team within our rapidly growing San Francisco office.
The ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized self-starter with first class communication and problem solving skills. Previous experience working in a fast paced environment is a must. The successful candidate will be responsible for facilitating the functioning of the PLOS Medicine community-run journal, by helping authors and reviewers through the peer review process. General knowledge of science, science publishing, and/or open access would be advantageous but is not essential.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Operating our online peer-review software to facilitate the peer review process for each journal.
- Operate our online submission system, Editorial Manager, to facilitate the peer review process for each journal.
- Assist authors, reviewers, and academic editors by answering queries by email and phone, uploading files, and ensuring a timely peer review proces.
- Professionally communicate issues raised by our production team to authors.
- Field questions from scientists, members of the public, and the press about the journals.
- Support the Publications Managers in their tasks.
- Other special projects as approved by the Publications Managers and Editorial Manager.
Apply now | Return to top
- College graduate with a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree is preferred.
- Previous experience in publishing, preferably STM or academic is desirable.
- Familiarity with content management systems. Able to work with all Microsoft Office applications.
- Enthusiasm for science and/or technology, highly efficient, organized and flexible.
- High level of maturity and sensitivity in resolving clients concerns.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) - 2 years ago