About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. For more information, visit
The purpose of this position is to conduct operational assessments of records and field activities conducted by both company and contractor crews to ensure safety and compliance with Federal and State regulaltions as well as with company operating and maintenance procedures. Findings from operational assessments are used to drive change in training, policies and procedures.
- Performs operational assessments, both “live” and “post”, to evaluate field personnel compliance with procedures which are driven by Federal and State regulations as well as industry best practices and company-required requirements
- Coordinates and conducts annual audit of compliance records in advance of public service commission compliance records audits
- Conducts special audits of new/revised procedures recently implemented or of newly certified employees
- Serves as subject matter expert in interpreting procedures and O&M manuals
- Recommends updates/revisions to policies, procedures or O&M manuals based field observations where procedures may not be followed because they are not clear, incorrect or non-existent
- Prepares assessment report and communicates assessment findings to crews, supervisors and managers
- Provides guidance to supervisors, field personnel and training personnel on how to interpret policies, procedures and O&M manuals
- Represents QA department at supervisor roundtables and presents assessment findings for area of assessment responsibility
- Coaches supervisors on the content of the assessment form and on how to conduct effective assessments
- Recommends additional training, if deemed necessary, for field personnel based on findings of field assessments
- Analyzes individual and departmental assessment findings and follows up on poor performance observed in previous assessments
- Promotes safe work practices by shutting down job if unsafe situation is encounterd during an assessment or if activity affecting the integrity of the pipeline does not meet company standards
- BS in any engineering discipline or other analytical/technical discipline
Related Work Experience:
- Equivalent academic education and experience
- With engineering or technical bachelors degree, 2+ years engineering and operations experience in a gas utility, pipeline transmission, or other energy related field
- Without bachelors degree, 4+ years engineering and operations experience in a gas utility, pipeline transmission, or other energy related field
- 5+ years extensive field operations experience in a gas utility, pipeline transmission, or other energy related field
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Thorough understanding of company policies, procedures and O&M manuals
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors and managers
- Ability to effectively communicate assessment findings
- MS Excel - basic proficiency
- MS Word - basic proficiency
- MS PowerPoint - basic proficiency
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
- Occasional Traveler (5-20% travel): The incumbent will be required to travel on occasion. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
- This position requires constant standing or walking.
- This position occasionally requires the incumbent to bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
- The incumbent works in an office and field environment.
- The incumbent may/will work near or with moving mechanical parts.
- The incumbent may/will be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, or chemicals.
- The incumbent may/will be exposed to varying outdoor weather conditions.
- The incumbent may/will be exposed to excessive noise.
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification.
- 22 months ago - save job
AGL Resources brings its resources to customers in seven states through its fleet of utilities. Its Nicor Gas unit has 2.2 million customers...