Responsible for managing and improving the company’s quality system internally and externally. This includes: enforcing quality standards to ensure quality products and processes, monitoring daily performance, identifying and resolving problems related to quality from raw materials to finished products, supporting the co-packer quality system, and coordinating safety policies and procedures.
Safety and Regulatory
1. Enforce Company Safety Policies, actively participate in the safety committee program and support the Human Resources department to maintain a healthy work environment.
2. Support the Human Resources efforts in the creation of a work environment where employees are treated fairly with respect and dignity. Create a work culture that promotes open direct communication with employees avoiding the need for collective bargaining.
3. Ensure that all direct reports are continually trained in equipment safety and safety guidelines, continually perform safety risk management assessments to eliminate and/or minimize safety hazards and continually look for methods to improve working conditions as they relate to ergonomics, air quality work environment etc.
4. Ensure compliance with all government regulations and permits and interact with government officials and other regulatory agencies.
5. Maintain established quality standards and develop new standards for continued quality improvement.
6. Maintain, monitor and improve the sanitation program.
7. Contribute to developing short and long range operating strategies for the department.
8. Enforce incoming raw material procedures. Review and approve all incoming materials and develop material testing methods.
9. Ensure all established testing methods are followed and seek out continuous improvements.
10. Monitor daily production efficiencies and provide improvement/solutions to productivity roadblocks, and continually improve downtime issues.
11. Ensure all production meets quality standards.
12. Review, up-date and develop quality procedures (SOPs), forms, logs, and quality documents.
13. Prepare product and process quality reports, analyze and summarize information and trends.
14. Manager Water Treatment Process and improvements
15. Work with Manufacturing Planner, Warehouse, Maintenance, Operations Managers and supervisors to improve plant processes.
16. Work with suppliers to asses and eliminate supplier quality issues. Ensure that they develop and implement corrective actions when necessary.
17. Review, maintain, and update QA equipment. Develop and maintain a maintenance plan for critical production/QA equipment.
18. Review and improve corrective action procedure.
19. Implement QA tracking software, in order to reduce defects and increase production efficiency.
20. Review and improve QA testing procedures.
21. Help improve the product transition program, so they are completed with minimal loss.
22. Constantly monitor KPI’s, trend monthly and ensure the department meets and/or exceeds goals.
23. Ensure effective preventive and corrective maintenance is conducted on all Operations’ equipment.
24. Contribute to developing departmental budget in conjunction with the QA Manager and work continually to improve and/or deliver to budget or better than budget.
25. Take leadership in monitoring and analyzing shrinkage, yields, waste and breakage related to the department and continually reduce losses and implement corrective action.
Co-Packing and Process Improvement
26. Support the Co-pack department by maintaining and improving the quality system at off-site locations.
27. Assist the co-pack department with inventory control and tracking.
28. Travel to co-packers to assure Talking Rain requirements and specifications, along with reviewing product quality.
29. Establish relationships with co-packers.
30. Participate and contribute to the co-pack audit program. Perform Quality System audits on site and provide recommendations for improvement.
31. Assist co-pack department in the development and improvement of manufacturing processes.
Leadership & Development
32. Develop a QA Technician training program in order to assure consistency throughout the department and prepare personnel for certification.
33. Review, maintain, and improve the QA certification program.
34. Contribute to hourly staff monthly and annual performance reviews; assure that they are constructive and completed on time.
35. Establish goals, identify priorities, provide direction, give the necessary tools and resources and recognize accomplishments in a timely manner.
36. Create a collaborative work environment that encourages participation and debate.
37. Communicate and uphold Talking Rain’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
38. Work with all departments, (Accounting, Maintenance, Sales and Marketing, Human Resources, Customer Service) to maintain and improve efficient inter-departmental communication.
39. Represent Talking Rain with a high level of integrity and professionalism.
Reports To: QA Manager
Supervises: 9 QA Technicians and 2 Sanitation Technicians
1. Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and project a professional image.
2. Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
3. Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; good time-management, organizational, problem-prevention and problem-solving skills.
4. Ability to prepare concise action plans and presentations.
5. Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with individuals and groups at all organization levels; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
6. Strong analytical ability with active listening skills.
7. Ability to work accurately with close attention to detail.
8. Willingness and flexibility to adapt to changing business needs and deadlines.
9. Exhibit a professional, business like appearance and demeanor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, biochemistry degree or Food Science degree required.
2. Experience in a food manufacturing environment.
3. Experience with Quality System management, document control, and equipment project management.