Primary responsibility is to verify that incoming products to be processed/packed at the Seattle production facility meet the company’s food safety and quality standards, for further processing/packaging of Value-Added (VA) and Ready-to-Eat (RTE) products. This person will verify that finished VA or RTE products shipped from the Seattle facility meet the buyer’s specifications. This person will facilitate the submittal of ingredients, intermediate product, finished product, and microbiological samples to outside private laboratory for analysis, as necessary; and will assist the QC Manager-Seattle in monitoring certain/select HACCP-based food safety and QA prerequisite programs involved with the manufacturing of VA and RTE products.
1. Interface with Corp. Procurement staff to audit and inspect incoming product to be used at company's plants, to ensure product quality meets or exceeds company specifications. Must assure that the incoming products (including non-fish items) meet the requirements of company, the company’s customers, and regulatory agencies. Some travel to local cold-storage facilities occasionally to conduct inspections of products stored at those locations (Kent, WA to Bellingham, WA) may be necessary.
2. Audit/inspect outgoing finished products for selected customers to verify that they meet the customer’s specifications, as directed by the QC Manager-Seattle, the Corp QA Manager-Seattle, or Corp. Sales staff.
3. Inspect samples of domestic or imported custom-processed/co-packed products to ensure product safety and quality meets or exceeds company specifications.
4. Insure that all product specifications manufactured at the Seattle facility are written, kept up-to-date and available for both manufacturing and quality assurance staff. Develop/write new product specifications, and updates product specification manual as needed.
5. Assist QC Manager-Seattle with monitoring certain prerequisite programs that support the overall food safety/QA programs as assigned (e.g., GMP and sanitation practices of co-tentant/co-packer Seafood Products Company, collecting plant environmental swabs samples and product samples for testing by an outside private laboratory, facility grounds inspection, monthly audits of certain GFSI programs, etc.) for compliance with applicable company and/or regulatory standards.
6. Temporarily Fill-in for the QC Manager-Seattle occasionally (illness, vacation time, etc.).
7. Facilitates the submittal of ingredients, intermediate product, finished product, and microbiological samples to outside private laboratory for analysis, as necessary.
8. Assist QC Manager-Seattle in training of plant’s QC technicians and production staff on GMP/Food Safety Programs as needed/directed.
9. Conduct half-day audits of local area custom-processors/co-packers for basic HACCP food safety, sanitation, and GMP compliance, to support the Purchasing-Supplier Approval Program, as needed/directed.
10. Assist Marketing staff in label review program and facilitates approval of label proofs with SPA, to ensure labels meet the necessary regulatory requirements.
11. May be required to accompany outside auditors, inspectors, and government officials on occasion, in the absence of the Corp QA Manager-Seattle or QC Manager-Seattle.
12. Follows all company safety policies and procedures.
13. Responds to change productively and handles other duties as required.
• BS Degree in Science (emphasis on Food Science, Fisheries or Biology preferred), or equivalent experience
• Minimum of five (5) years of seafood quality control, seafood inspection and seafood HACCP experience.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
On Assignment - 20 months ago