Postal/Zip Code: 56001
American Concrete Products, an Oldcastle Materials Company, was established in 1980 with three trucks and one small, manually operated plant in Johnston, Iowa. Since then, American Concrete Products has continued to expand and has grown to become one of the largest ready mix providers in the area. American Concrete now owns and operates 38 ready mix plants in 24 counties throughout Iowa and Minnesota. We deploy approximately 165 ready mix trucks daily and are equipped to handle all of your ready mix concrete needs.
Provide technical support and testing services to all ready mix plants in the Minnesota region. Develop and maintain relationships with key customers, plant managers, aggregate and admixture suppliers, and DOT personnel. Ultimately, the Regional QC Technician will assist the company in elevating the customers’ perception and general quality of our mix designs, achieving the elimination of lost loads, the generation of backup data necessary for mix optimization, and overseeing the inspection process of DOT jobs.
- Pick up plant test cylinders and transport to lab. Strip and tank the cylinders. Break on schedule at 7 & 28 days. Enter results in Command QC. Communicate with plant managers, sales, and area managers to assure test cylinders are transported to the lab on time.
- Monitor inventory and condition of R/M plants’ testing equipment. Assure they have adequate supply of test cylinder molds and that slump cone, air meter, platform scale, and tools are in good working condition.
- If a plant is not performing regular DOT work, sample and run decant (-200 sieve loss by wash) and gradations on aggregates on a monthly basis. Include D-57, Sand, & 3/8” chips.
- During routine testing, all sets of test cylinders must be accompanied by concrete temperature, air content, slump, unit weight and yield calculations.
- Mark necessary information on cylinders, including Date, Plant, Mix Number, Ticket Number, Slump, Air, Concrete Temperature, and Unit Weight.
- In accordance with ACI 318-08, we will mold one (1) seven day cylinder and three (3) twenty eight day cylinders (4”x8”) for compressive strength. The plant managers will also be notified of this change.
- Make regular stops on jobs we are supplying, DOT, commercial, or residential to verify the mix is acceptable to the contractor.
- Make random visits to local quarries and pits that supply the region’s plants. Sample and test the aggregates for gradation and decant (-200 loss by wash).
- Perform DOT testing, gradations and inspections as required. Maintain relationships with DOT personnel in your area. Know who the reports go to, who to communicate with for material samples and certification, and who to call when you need help.
- When signing DOT tickets, you are taking personal responsibility for that load. Make sure you are confident that load will be within specification when it arrives on the job. Be sure to visually inspect every load to assure it is within specification.
- Maintain MnDOT certifications required to produce and test concrete.
Additional Requirements/Physical Demands
- Must be able to communicate effectively with customers and all company personnel.
- Must be capable to obtain and maintain DOT certifications.
- Must have valid driver’s license and be able to drive to rural plants in remote areas of the state.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- Must be able to perform simple mathematical calculations.
- Must have or acquire basic computer skills and be able to work with e mail and simple spreadsheets.
- Work requires walking, climbing, bending, pushing, pulling, and lifting (75 lb. minimum) objects.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to start work early mornings and work long hours according to seasonal and market demands.
- Job hazards include exposure to dust, noise, fumes, and all weather conditions. Potential for serious injury exists if equipment is misused or safety precautions are not followed.
- Must be able to pass Physical Capacity Profile (PCP).
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
American Concrete Products is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
American Concrete Products is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.
Oldcastle - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
Oldcastle is the largest manufacturer of building products and materials in North America with more than 1500 locations and 35,000...