The role of the Cognos Developer/Analyst is two fold: (1) to serve as a Cognos expert by assisting with the development of relational and dimensional models and reports and (2) to support all quality assurance activities such as the review of requirements and testing documents. Specific skills are as follows:
- Using Cognos Framework Manager, develops and assists with relational and dimensional modeling, OLAP cube development, building, de-bugging, and maintaining complex reports and dashboards using Cognos
- Develops processes for capturing and maintaining metadata from all data warehousing components
- Serves as the subject matter expert for the critical business areas of the data warehouse (e.g., student area, staff area). This role involves working to evaluate the condition of data sources, assisting the data warehouse team to define appropriate logic models, and serving as the contact person for these data elements
- Reviews all requirements documents prepared by Business Requirements Analyst
- Reviews all technical design documents (i.e., reviews the scripts/models required to extract, transform, clean, and move data and meta data so that they can be loaded into the data warehouse and data mart)
- Supports quality assurance activities via involvement in all aspects the data warehouse's test strategy which includes: the identification of test cases and plans, development of unit testing, user acceptance testing, threshold testing, and regression testing for all data warehouse business areas (and associated projects, reports)
- Collaborates with the data warehouse architect, the ETL lead and data warehouse developers in the construction and execution of test scenarios including those applicable to the development, test, and production data warehouse environments
- At least four years of experience working with the Cognos toolset Version 8 or 10 (10 preferred -- Framework Manager, Query Studio, Report Studio, and Analysis Studio).
- At least two years experience defining and creating dashboards within Cognos required. Ability to help author Cognos best practices document(s).
- Ability to work with end users on Cognos current and future reporting tools solutions sets (Report Studio, Dashboard, Business Insight 10.1 and Business Insight Advanced 10.1).
- Solid understanding and experience with SQL and Oracle. Must be able to troubleshoot Cognos generated SQL and create SQL to test data and Cognos solutions.
- Solid dimensional modeling experience is required. Ability to work with DW Architect on new subject area data model solutions and to ensure that proposed solution meets user's needs and can be implemented within Cognos solution set.
- Desirable: Experience with Cognos Metrics Studio, Cognos TM1, Cognos Transformer and/or Dimensional Model/Relational Model
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline.
- Several years experience in development and support of Data Warehouse, Business Intelligence and/or reporting solutions.
- Must be an expert in a Cognos 8/10 toolset
- Have expert knowledge of SQL programming languages and skills in systems software development life cycle, especially in requirements phase.
- Must have excellent oral/written communications, organizational and interpersonal skills, combined with effective presentation skills.
Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.