As an innovative leader, New York Air Brake has been serving the rail industry since 1890. Through the years, our basic philosophy has reflected a deep respect for the customer, and a commitment to providing quality products at a cost-effective price. New York Air Brake's participation in ISO 9001, and our corresponding certification, echoes a company-wide spirit. From management, to administration, to engineering, to the production floor, quality is an ever-present compass.
The Quality Engineer will identify and lead opportunities to continuously improve, using appropriate process excellence and lean manufacturing tools, quality, cost and time factors consistent with best business to quality objectives. To actively lead or participate in product complaint investigations applying a process excellence approach using quality tools such as FMEAs, hazard analysis, process flow maps, and DOEs. Responsible for test protocol development, root cause analysis, and report writing. Assist in the development and implementation of appropriate corrective action plans.
- Coordinates / makes modifications to existing procedures, production processes, engineering specifications, and inspection techniques/plans/procedures and monitors results necessary to validate improvements.
- Identify and ensure compliance with relevant domestic and international industry standards and guidelines; AAR, ISO.
- Read blueprints, specifications and control plans to ensure that specifications, standard processes and operations are being maintained and that due care in the manufacture of the product is being maintained.
- Schedule and attend meetings to review prints, ensure packaging is available, develop documents, monitor tool/assembly equipment progress and build prototypes
- Ensure that conclusions from investigations are appropriately supported by facts, that corrective and preventive actions address the root cause, and all aspects of the investigations are thoroughly documented.
- Interface with customers regarding program launches and manufacturing of quality parts.
- Develop, monitors and analyzes product/process trend data in order to optimize manufacturing performance and minimize product and process variability and associated production costs.
- Input and approval for design verification and validation testing of new designs and design changes (including product software/hardware verification) to ensure product design quality and integrity.
- Define compliance with technical standards.
- Determine appropriate tests and validations to ensure components and products meet specification requirements.
- Participate in new product Introductions as required in the development process and ensure appropriate design transfer into Manufacturing.
- Establish and track appropriate measures of quality for field complaints and defects and communicating these to management.
- Ensure that indicators with poor outcomes are addressed through an appropriate action plan.
- Demonstrate proactive and strategic thinking.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; confident and capable in a customer facing role.
- Ability to make independent decisions and successful track record of influencing key stakeholders.
- Knowledge of T.P.S. or lean behaviors and applications.
- Experience with APQP/PPAP and other relevant quality control procedures and processes.
- The ability to independently analyze data, identify trends, formulate and implement corrective action to improve overall quality systems compliance, effectiveness, and efficiency.
- Thorough working knowledge of the various customer and industry quality system models such as ISO and AAR.
- Ability to develop training plans and conduct training of company personnel at all levels.
- Proficient at data collection, analysis, and presentation.
- Practical knowledge of and ability to use statistical analysis methods and tools.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in quality engineering
- Experience with rail, automotive, aerospace or industrial products strongly preferred
- Bachelors degree Required (Engineering preferred)
- Masters degree a plus
- Six Sigma certificaiton a plus