Position: Quality Manager – Steel Manufacturing /
Reports to: General Manager
Location: El Dorado, KS 67042
A global leader in the manufacture of steel poles, used
in the electrical Utility transmission and distribution
industry, has an immediate opening for a Quality Manager
at its manufacturing facility in El Dorado, near
Wichita, KS, TN. Reporting to the General Manager at
this facility, the Quality Manager will have quality
oversight of all products produced at that facility and
will have a staff of six quality control inspectors as
direct reports. The Quality Manager will have frequent
interactions with the company’s manufacturing personnel,
customer service managers, project managers, project
administrators, and strategic account managers, and may
also work closely with customer representatives at the
The Quality Manager is responsible for developing,
auditing, implementing and maintaining the Total Quality
Management System for the site. This person supports,
trains and supervises the quality control inspectors in
inspection methods and safe working techniques. The
person in this position interacts with site staff and a
wide range of staff from other sites including, Division
and Corporate Quality staff.
The Quality Manager will be required to distinguish
between acceptable and unacceptable quality of products
from raw materials, to the fabrication of pieces and
part, and through the final assembly and any required
coating process. The person in this role is accountable
for accurate decision-making on workmanship, and weld
qualities by using the method of testing required for
the order. The Quality Engineer will use time management
to insure that no production time is lost and that the
quality of the product meets specifications. The Quality
Manager will report unacceptable quality to the General
Additional responsibilities include:
Writing and maintaining manuals and documents
necessary to establish and implement a Total Quality
- Coordinating root cause analysis of defective
products and presenting the findings to the other
plants as well as to the customer.
- Auditing Inspection activities.
- Random auditing of products delivered to customer
sites for conformance to specifications.
- Routine monitoring of compliance with customer
specifications and company work instructions.
- Directing and monitoring the activities of quality
control inspectors (direct reports).
· Analyzing and evaluating manufacturing and quality
processes to identify improvement opportunities and
reviewing new processes for possible integration.
· Conducting technical and statistical investigations to
resolve and correct quality related issues, and
providing management with suggested corrective actions,
as necessary and appropriate.
· Conducting training in quality requirements for shop
or administrative staff
· Conducting orientation training related to quality
requirements, including supervising and qualification
Demonstrated experience managing QMS.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a heavy
industrial manufacturing environment.
Two years supervisory experience with proven ability
in team building.
- Certification as a Welding Inspector.
- Ability/competency reading blueprints.
- Bachelor’s degree in manufacturing processes or
related field (preferred).
- Ability to work in a heavy steel fabrication shop
environment and/or on construction sites.
- Preferred: ASNT Certified in Ultrasonic Testing and
- Preferred: CWI-Certified Welding Inspector through
Base salary of $75,000 or higher, depending on
qualifications and experience, plus performance bonus up
to 30 percent. Company offers a full benefit package and
a relocation allowance, as appropriate.