POSITION: Quality Manager - Steel Fabrication/Welding
REPORTS TO: General Manager
LOCATION: Hazelton, PA 18201
A leading manufacturer of steel utility structures used
in the electric transmission industry has an immediate
opening for a Quality Manager at its manufacturing
facility in Hazelton, PA. Reporting to the General
Manager of this facility, the Quality Manager is
responsible for implementing and auditing the company’s
Total Quality Management process, developing quality
procedures, implementing quality training, and
communicating the results of the quality efforts of this
facility. The Quality Manager analyzes and evaluates
manufacturing and quality processes to identify
improvement opportunities and reviews new processes for
possible integration, and is responsible for making
technical and statistical investigations to resolve and
correct quality-related issues. The Quality Manager
establishes strategic direction for quality-related
activities to align with the company and divisional
business initiatives, and is responsible for auditing
facility operations to ensure that all Quality, Work
Instructions, Best Practices and required Industry
Standards/Codes are being followed. The Quality Manager
then develops corrective action procedures to ensure
· Assures the conformance of all products to Engineering
· Identifies non-conformance and implements process
improvements as needed to correct same.
· Supervises Quality Inspectors, Quality Clerical
support individual and the Welding Technician /
Instructor, and indirectly supervises the field service
technician and schedules their work to fulfill all
obligations in a timely manner.
· Ensures conformance of the product manufactured to
applicable specifications, compliance with customer's
demands for quality and timely delivery.
· Uses process capability studies to improve or replace
processes. Establishes and maintains mechanisms for
process control and reduction of process variability.
· Develops and tracks the facility’s Quality
Measurements, i.e. Cost of Poor Quality, First Time Pass
· Maintains all AISC and other registrations as deemed
· Performs data gathering, analysis, and distribution of
quality related data to aid in identifying improvement
· Observes operating activities throughout all product
areas; makes recommendations, develops action plans, and
follows up to ensure that action plans are effectively
· Conducts internal audit of individual departments.
· Develops policies and procedures for inspection of
various manufactured and purchased products; establishes
a Vendor Certification Program with Purchasing.
· Promotes Quality Partnerships with Suppliers and
· Analyzes/evaluates manufacturing processes to identify
improvement opportunities and review new processes.
Establishes procedure for review sign-off of changes to
products or processes.
· Assists other facility Managers, evaluates field
problem data and develops action plans to identify root
cause and establish actions to prevent causes of
· Deals effectively with all identified field quality
problems with urgency and cost effective solutions to
satisfy all customer requirements.
· Interfaces effectively with all customer personnel,
auditors, engineering staff, etc. to maintain positive
· Associate Degree in a technical or business
discipline, or minimum of 10 years directly relevant
steel fabrication industry experience.
· Five years of related professional level work
experience; minimum of two years in a management
capacity with strong track record of team building.
· Current / valid AWS CWI certification.
· ASNT Certified in Ultrasonic Testing and Mag-Particle
· Excellent organizational skills, ability to handle
multiple priorities effectively, assimilate information
quickly, analyze problems and implement timely
· Knowledge of quality concepts, technical writing and
· Excellent oral, written and interpersonal
· Very strong PC skills.
· Complete knowledge and hands-on experience of TQM/ ISO
and AISC processes and the experience or ability to
implement, audit, and follow-through within the
· Ability to develop and facilitate training programs to
compliment the TQM process. Should have a thorough
knowledge of all AWS processes and procedures.
· Solid understanding of statistical methods to improve
company and vendor performance. Must be capable of
interpreting quality instructions, Engineering drawings,
and specifications used in the processing and production
of the Business Units products.
· Good mathematical aptitude, practical knowledge of
manufacturing practice and knowledge of shop equipment
and its use. Ability to work with spreadsheet and data
base software programs.
· Ability to work indoors and outdoors in all seasons of
the year, as the Quality Manager will be exposed to the
normal environmental conditions found in steel
fabrication, cutting, welding, and finishing operations.
Base salary of $75,000 or higher depending on skills and
experience, plus performance bonus up to 30 percent.
Comprehensive benefit package. Relocation allowance, as